Removing broken off BB cup

Evian Shore

Guest
I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke off on the drive
side. The piece left attached to the bike is completely inside the
bracket.

What kind of tool would be needed to remove the piece inside without
ruining the underlying thread? Being the biking season, there's a two
week repair backup at the local bike shop, and I'd like to see whether
this repair is something I could do reasonably.

Thanks
es

Evian Shore wrote:

> I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
> type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke off on the drive
> side. The piece left attached to the bike is completely inside the
> bracket.
>
> What kind of tool would be needed to remove the piece inside without
> ruining the underlying thread? Being the biking season, there's a two
> week repair backup at the local bike shop, and I'd like to see whether
> this repair is something I could do reasonably.
>
> Thanks
> es

large (5/8", 16mm) bolt and nut, or failing that a mig welder
/Marten

You could probably get a hacksaw blade in there and put a deep notch on
the inside cup surface, parallel to where the axle was. From there, use
a hammer and screwdriver to drive the cup around. This will be
relatively easy if the cup remnants are aluminium. I have no good answer
for steel . . . If you don't want to *cut*, then drill a ca. 4mm hole
into the inside of the cup and drive it around with a centre punch and
hammer.

Even if you sawed very close to the threads, cutting this notch should
cause no problems for installing future BB cups. It's only shredding the
threads at the outside edge, a long way around the shell, that makes it
difficult to put in new cups.

HTH,

Robert

Evian Shore wrote:
> I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
> type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke off on the drive
> side. The piece left attached to the bike is completely inside the
> bracket.
>
> What kind of tool would be needed to remove the piece inside without
> ruining the underlying thread? Being the biking season, there's a two
> week repair backup at the local bike shop, and I'd like to see whether
> this repair is something I could do reasonably.
>
> Thanks
> es

"Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
> type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke off on the drive
> side. The piece left attached to the bike is completely inside the
> bracket.
>
> What kind of tool would be needed to remove the piece inside without
> ruining the underlying thread? Being the biking season, there's a two
> week repair backup at the local bike shop, and I'd like to see whether
> this repair is something I could do reasonably.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool to
remove the fixed cup.

Peter Cole wrote:

> "Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
>>type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke

---8<---cut
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
>
> Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool to
> remove the fixed cup.

Guys, I understand the OP's problem to be that the the cup had broken
and that only the threaded section remained, wholly inside the BB shell.

This would mean that Sheldon's device has nothing to grip onto.

/Robert

Peter Cole wrote:

> "Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
>>type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke

---8<---cut
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
>
> Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool to
> remove the fixed cup.

Guys, I understand the OP's problem to be that the the cup had broken
and that only the threaded section remained, wholly inside the BB shell.

This would mean that Sheldon's device has nothing to grip onto.

/Robert

"Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> > "Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
> >>type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke

> ---8<---cut
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
> >
> > Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool

> > remove the fixed cup.
> >

> Guys, I understand the OP's problem to be that the the cup had broken
> and that only the threaded section remained, wholly inside the BB shell.
>
> This would mean that Sheldon's device has nothing to grip onto.

Upon rereading, I think you're right. Perhaps an "internal pipe wrench" of the
right size might work, like this:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/toolsplus/gen139-4.html

I've used a spare oversized quill stem to remove the stranded threaded
sections of BB cups. Can't remember if it's a 1 1/8, or the rarer larger
diameter stems of late 80's vintage. Works pretty well (if the cup isn't
completely rusted in place- in any case, apply ample "liquid wrench"):
insert stem quill into bb shell, tighten stem bolt so that wedge expands into
broken off cup, turn.

good luck!

Paul

(don't expect the stem to fare well in this process)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:37:19 -0700, Evian Shore wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<UQPIc.68247$%_6.66673@attbi_s01>...
> "Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have a mountain bike that's about 20 years old having the spindle
> > type bottom bracket. While riding, the BB cup broke off on the drive
> > side. The piece left attached to the bike is completely inside the
> > bracket.
> >
> > What kind of tool would be needed to remove the piece inside without
> > ruining the underlying thread? Being the biking season, there's a two
> > week repair backup at the local bike shop, and I'd like to see whether
> > this repair is something I could do reasonably.

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
>
> Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool to
> remove the fixed cup.

This tool, while clever & cheap, can not do the job here because the
OP says per above: "The piece left attached to the bike is completely
inside the
bracket." Sheldons tool grips the flat end. This guy ain't got no flat
end left to grip.
I like the posters idea of hack sawing a groove in the fixed cup. Also
make sure you get a drive side (left hand thread) bb tap to chase any
minor damage the hack saw might have done to the minor diameter of the
bb threads. Use anti seize when you assemble the new bb into the bb
hanger.
Good luck John

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<yeQIc.67187$MB3.20897@attbi_s04>...
> "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Peter Cole wrote:
> >
> > > "Evian Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> ---8<---cut
> > > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
> > >
> > > Read the section on "fixed cup tools", it describes making a simple tool

> > > remove the fixed cup.
> > >

> > Guys, I understand the OP's problem to be that the the cup had broken
> > and that only the threaded section remained, wholly inside the BB shell.
> >
> > This would mean that Sheldon's device has nothing to grip onto.

> Upon rereading, I think you're right. Perhaps an "internal pipe wrench" of the
> right size might work, like this:
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/toolsplus/gen139-4.html

Will this work w/ a left hand thread? John