removing caked-on MUD from tire and pedals!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by terrybigwheel, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
    ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
    my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
    best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
    out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
    and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
    won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
    to hear ideas. thanks!:)

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  2. flyer

    flyer Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
    > ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
    > my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
    > best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
    > out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
    > and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
    > won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
    > to hear ideas. thanks!:)

    just wash it down. why on earth would you want to remove proof that
    you're hardcore from your muni? :confused:

    --
    flyer
    flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

  3. flyer wrote:
    > just wash it down. why on earth would you want to remove proof that
    > you're hardcore from your muni? :confused:

    That's funny you said that! Iwas thinking the SAME thing!:D

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to cleaning my toys. So even
    with my muddy mountain bikes, I just make sure the moving parts are
    generally clean and lubed. For the rest of it (the frame, tire(s),
    etc.), I just let it wear off as I ride.

    If you must though, you can use water as long as you generally don't
    spray it hard at the moving parts. Then dry it with a towel, put lube
    on the moving parts, and go get it muddy again! :D

    --
    phlegm
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  5. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I keep a stiff bristled utility brush in the car and just brush off the
    mud as much as I can while it's still wet so it doesn't get the car all
    dirty. Then a light brushing when I get home to get more off so it
    doesn't shed dirt in the house.

    The only time I would wash or really clean my muni would be before
    taking it to a bike shop. For example before taking the wheel in to be
    trued. I don't want to give them a dirty wheel with a dirty hub that
    gets dirt in the work space.

    Otherwise I just let it be and don't mind if it has dirt on it.

    If you do wash a unicycle or a bike you want to be careful not to
    forcefully spray water on areas with bearings. If you want to wash
    around areas with bearings just let the water flow over the area with
    no force.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  6. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    Ours tend to be brushed off. Like john I keep a small stiff bristle
    brush in the car to get the worst off at the end of the ride. Then may
    be go over it again when the muds dry. Bouncing the trye hard on the
    ground will often shift a lot of caked on dry mud. Don't think I've
    washed a uni for years, proadly since I stopped keeping them in the
    spare bedroom.
    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller

    South West Unicycle Meet
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  7. tholub

    tholub Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
    > ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
    > my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
    > best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
    > out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
    > and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
    > won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
    > to hear ideas. thanks!:)

    Ride it again.

    --
    tholub

  8. paco

    paco Guest

    I got a bucket of water and an old toothbrush. I dumped water on one
    area, bushed that spot with the toothbrush, and then rinsed. It works
    pretty well, even in the tire tread or hard to reach spots, and you
    don't have to worry about being too forceful. Just remember which
    toothbrush belongs to your uni...

    edit: by the way, I've got a new product that may come in very handy
    for muddy unicycle tires and pedals. More on that soon...

    --
    paco

    Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
    -John Childs

    paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

  9. Radical Reed

    Radical Reed Guest

    i take me dads air compresore and just blow it off,
    wwwwiiiissssshhhhhhhhhh:D

    --
    Radical Reed

    'My Gallery has two vids in it'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7of4d)
    no body reads these any more
    hurry up summer I miss MUni:(
    011100100110010101100101011001000010000001101001011100110010000001110011011011110010000001100011011011110110111101101100
    decode this'Here' (http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php)
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

  10. Radical Reed wrote:
    > i take me dads air compresore and just blow it off,
    > wwwwiiiissssshhhhhhhhhh:D

    Geesh! Great Idea! I have a new 10 gal air compressor and didn't even
    think to use it for that. Thanks!:D