removing caked-on MUD from tire and pedals!

terrybigwheel

Guest
Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
to hear ideas. thanks!:)

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

terrybigwheel wrote:
> Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
> ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
> my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
> best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
> out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
> and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
> won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
> to hear ideas. thanks!:)

just wash it down. why on earth would you want to remove proof that
you're hardcore from your muni? :confused:

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

flyer wrote:
> just wash it down. why on earth would you want to remove proof that
> you're hardcore from your muni? :confused:

That's funny you said that! Iwas thinking the SAME thing!:D

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to cleaning my toys. So even
with my muddy mountain bikes, I just make sure the moving parts are
generally clean and lubed. For the rest of it (the frame, tire(s),
etc.), I just let it wear off as I ride.

If you must though, you can use water as long as you generally don't
spray it hard at the moving parts. Then dry it with a towel, put lube
on the moving parts, and go get it muddy again! :D

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

I keep a stiff bristled utility brush in the car and just brush off the
mud as much as I can while it's still wet so it doesn't get the car all
dirty. Then a light brushing when I get home to get more off so it
doesn't shed dirt in the house.

The only time I would wash or really clean my muni would be before
taking it to a bike shop. For example before taking the wheel in to be
trued. I don't want to give them a dirty wheel with a dirty hub that
gets dirt in the work space.

Otherwise I just let it be and don't mind if it has dirt on it.

If you do wash a unicycle or a bike you want to be careful not to
forcefully spray water on areas with bearings. If you want to wash
around areas with bearings just let the water flow over the area with
no force.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Ours tend to be brushed off. Like john I keep a small stiff bristle
brush in the car to get the worst off at the end of the ride. Then may
be go over it again when the muds dry. Bouncing the trye hard on the
ground will often shift a lot of caked on dry mud. Don't think I've
washed a uni for years, proadly since I stopped keeping them in the
spare bedroom.
Sarah

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

terrybigwheel wrote:
> Just got back from my daily (2 days off since Sunday muni in Ojai) muni
> ride, but because of recent rain, the trails were really muddy and now
> my muni has mud CAKED all over the duro 3.0, and the pedals. WHat's the
> best/easiest way to get the mud out? I wasn't sure if I should just get
> out the garden hose and try spraying it off, or wait for it to dry out
> and maybe use a stiff bristle brush. Tried the brush now but that mud
> won't budge! I'm afraid water may get into places and cause rust. Love
> to hear ideas. thanks!:)

Ride it again.

--
tholub

I got a bucket of water and an old toothbrush. I dumped water on one
area, bushed that spot with the toothbrush, and then rinsed. It works
pretty well, even in the tire tread or hard to reach spots, and you
don't have to worry about being too forceful. Just remember which
toothbrush belongs to your uni...

edit: by the way, I've got a new product that may come in very handy
for muddy unicycle tires and pedals. More on that soon...

--
paco

Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
-John Childs

paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

i take me dads air compresore and just blow it off,
wwwwiiiissssshhhhhhhhhh:D

--
Radical Reed

'My Gallery has two vids in it'
(http://tinyurl.com/7of4d)
no body reads these any more
hurry up summer I miss MUni:(
011100100110010101100101011001000010000001101001011100110010000001110011011011110010000001100011011011110110111101101100
decode this'Here' (http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php)
Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

Radical Reed wrote:
> i take me dads air compresore and just blow it off,
> wwwwiiiissssshhhhhhhhhh:D

Geesh! Great Idea! I have a new 10 gal air compressor and didn't even
think to use it for that. Thanks!:D