Removing Campagnolo C10 Ultra Chain - How????

Hi,

I recently upgraded my C10 chain to the C10 Ultra (with the hollow
rivets).

Now, I want to take the chain off to service the cranks/bb, but I'm
completely confused how to do that.

I have a Park Chaintool, which is meant to be able to split any chain
(and can happily do my C9 on another bike).

I'm not sure, but I think there might only be one rivet that will be
removable (on the old C10, it was a hollow one) but I can't work out
which one it is (they're _all_ hollow) - I'm really worried that I will
break the chain if I try to remove any of the other rivets!

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Thanks,
Mark.

Hi,

I recently upgraded my C10 chain to the C10 Ultra (with the hollow
rivets).

Now, I want to take the chain off to service the cranks/bb, but I'm
completely confused how to do that.

I have a Park Chaintool, which is meant to be able to split any chain
(and can happily do my C9 on another bike).

I'm not sure, but I think there might only be one rivet that will be
removable (on the old C10, it was a hollow one) but I can't work out
which one it is (they're _all_ hollow) - I'm really worried that I will
break the chain if I try to remove any of the other rivets!

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Thanks,

I have a C10 Ultra chain. Have you thought of unscrewing the little
screw on the inside of the chain shifter and lifting the whole chain
out and over the chainring and cranks?

You would need to increase the play on the shifter to come nearer the
frame so that you can slide the chain between the shifter and the outa
chainring..............This avoids having to split chain.
Sean.

Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
though.

I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
since they all look the same.

Thanks for the thought though :)

Mark.

[email protected] wrote:
> Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
> though.
>
> I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
> that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
> since they all look the same.
>
> Thanks for the thought though :)

Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without tools.

--chris

Chris Gerhard wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
>> though.
>>
>> I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
>> that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
>> since they all look the same.
>>
>> Thanks for the thought though :)

> Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
> campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without tools.

Likewise, although there's no reason that you can't use the connex chain
link on a campag chain AFAIK. I certainly did on my original C10 chain.

Peter

[email protected] wrote:
> Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
> though.

> I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
> that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
> since they all look the same.

> Thanks for the thought though :)

Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without
tools.

--chris

Do they make them for a 10spd?
Sean.

in message <[email protected]>, Chris Gerhard
('Chris.Gerhard@remove_this.sun.com') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
>> though.
>>
>> I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
>> that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
>> since they all look the same.
>>
>> Thanks for the thought though :)

> Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
> campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without
> tools.

What's your experience with this? I definitely want a chain with a magic
joining link, when my current Campag one wears out. Is the Wipperman the
best, in your opinion?

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

sean wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Yeah... that's actually what i ended up doing... it just felt wrong
>> though.

>> I can't help feeling this is a major design flaw with the Ultra chain
>> that one cannot work out which link is breakable using the chain tool,
>> since they all look the same.

>> Thanks for the thought though :)

> Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
> campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without
> tools.
>
> --chris
>
> Do they make them for a 10spd?

They certainly do. I got mine from http://deesidecycles.com/

Chris

Simon Brooke wrote:
>> Which is why I went for the Wipperman Connex chain rather than the
>> campag one. It's great to just be able to remove the chain without
>> tools.

> What's your experience with this? I definitely want a chain with a magic
> joining link, when my current Campag one wears out. Is the Wipperman the
> best, in your opinion?

I'm on my second Wipperman chain. My experience is that they are
absolutely fine, first one did over 4000 miles. The joining link is a
master piece, much better than the SRAM ones on the 9 speed (The
animation on the Wipperman website of how it works makes it look easy,
and the reality is it is that easy). I would not usually criticise
anything from Campag, but having one chain break (one of the original 10
speed ones, the joining link gave way) and not being able to break the
replacement for cleaning or if it were to fail on the road has made me
wary of their chains.

I realise by writing this I am now doomed to have the chain snap.

--chris