removing campy brake blocks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jeff, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff

jeff Guest

Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem to
    get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

Tags:

2. In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
    >to get them to budge.

Clamp the pad in a vise and shove on the shoe.

3. Paul J Pharr

Paul J Pharr Guest

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
    > to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

I "peeled" mine out with a pair of lineman's pliers. It was much easier, didn't hurt a thing. Put a
    little lube (I used white lightning) on the pad when you replace it.

Paul J Pharr

4. jeff

jeff Guest

> I "peeled" mine out with a pair of lineman's pliers. It was much easier, didn't hurt a thing. Put
    > a little lube (I used white lightning) on the pad when you replace it.
    >
    > Paul J Pharr

What are linemans pliers? Jeff

5. Jerry Winter

Jerry Winter Guest

My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in a vise and risk scratching
    or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in the pad the size of an allen wrench. I then put the
    allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with the hole) over the allen wrench, and tapped the
    brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.

Jerry

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
    > to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

6. Terry Rudd

Terry Rudd Guest

Use a small vice, clamp on the brake pad just below the aluminum brake pad holder, tighten the jaws
    to pinch the old pad slightly and the brake pad holder will slide right off. Careful reversal of
    this procedure works well to install new pads in my experience. I tried pliers as described and feel
    using a vice is safer and less likely to damage the aluminum.

Terry

Jerry Winter wrote:
    > My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in a vise and risk
    > scratching or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in the pad the size of an allen wrench. I
    > then put the allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with the hole) over the allen wrench,
    > and tapped the brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
    >>to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff
    >

7. Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert Guest

Leave the blocks on the calipers (on the bike) and pry the loose end up with a thin screwdriver or
    such. Once the end is lifted, you can pull the whole thing right out. Slide the new one in with a
    little 409 or something for help.

--
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

"Jerry Winter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in
    a
    > vise and risk scratching or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in
    the
    > pad the size of an allen wrench. I then put the allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with
    > the hole) over the allen wrench, and tapped the brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't
    > > seem to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.