removing campy brake blocks?

Status

jeff

Guest
Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem to
get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

> Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
> to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

I "peeled" mine out with a pair of lineman's pliers. It was much easier, didn't hurt a thing. Put a
little lube (I used white lightning) on the pad when you replace it.

Paul J Pharr

> I "peeled" mine out with a pair of lineman's pliers. It was much easier, didn't hurt a thing. Put
> a little lube (I used white lightning) on the pad when you replace it.
>
> Paul J Pharr

What are linemans pliers? Jeff

My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in a vise and risk scratching
or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in the pad the size of an allen wrench. I then put the
allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with the hole) over the allen wrench, and tapped the
brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.

Jerry

> Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
> to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

Use a small vice, clamp on the brake pad just below the aluminum brake pad holder, tighten the jaws
to pinch the old pad slightly and the brake pad holder will slide right off. Careful reversal of
this procedure works well to install new pads in my experience. I tried pliers as described and feel
using a vice is safer and less likely to damage the aluminum.

Terry

Jerry Winter wrote:
> My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in a vise and risk
> scratching or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in the pad the size of an allen wrench. I
> then put the allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with the hole) over the allen wrench,
> and tapped the brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.
>
> Jerry

>>Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't seem
>>to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

Leave the blocks on the calipers (on the bike) and pry the loose end up with a thin screwdriver or
such. Once the end is lifted, you can pull the whole thing right out. Slide the new one in with a
little 409 or something for help.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

"Jerry Winter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zpJpa.353057$Zo.85181@sccrnsc03...
> My approach was pretty unconventional. I didn't want to put the brakes in
> vise and risk scratching or bending 'em. I drilled a couple of holes in
the
> pad the size of an allen wrench. I then put the allen wrench in the vice, put the brake pad (with
> the hole) over the allen wrench, and tapped the brake with a rubber hammer. It worked.
>
> Jerry

> > Is there any trick to removing worn Campy brake blocks? Mine seem to be in VERY tight, can't
> > seem to get them to budge. Many thanks, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.