Removing Chain for Cleaning

zolik

Dec 17, 2006
Hi All,

Want to give the chain a proper clean and relube but dont know how to get it off. Im pretty newb at Bike maintanence and other then lubing components and my forks I dont know much else. I have a KMC chain which I have looked at thoroughly but cant seem to find anyway to remove a link to take the chain off.

How am I to do this or should I just get a new chain that has a removable link?

thanks

Get a SRAM power link. Your chain is pinned together so you will need to get a chain breaker to press one of the pins out. The ends are probably riveted so you can't just reuse the old pin.

zolik said:
Hi All,

Want to give the chain a proper clean and relube but dont know how to get it off. Im pretty newb at Bike maintanence and other then lubing components and my forks I dont know much else. I have a KMC chain which I have looked at thoroughly but cant seem to find anyway to remove a link to take the chain off.

How am I to do this or should I just get a new chain that has a removable link?

thanks

Hi Zolik, I have a KMC chain (Z92S) that came with a removable link (KMC call this link "missing link"). Surely you can buy a missing link for your chain.

Best regards and good luck.

Given today is the day, His Highness Sheldon Brown has spoken definitively about the proper way to clean your chain. Adhere to the bible or face the peril!