Removing chain

Stephen \(aka steford\)

Guest
Recently had some work done on my bike and, on advice from the shop, decided
to go for 2 chains removing one and putting on a clean one every month or
so. The chains I have are the type that join via 2 similar pieces that clip
on to each other through the chain ends and slide into position. The demo in
the shop seemed simple but of course after use I can't slide the 2 parts
apart at all. I've squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent
about 30 mins with no signs of movement - any tips on getting this chain off
the bike?

Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain in
or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white spirit or
turps or something?

Thanks.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:03:55 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<R_e_M_sabotenO_v_E@T_H_i_Skei99.co.uk> wrote:

>Recently had some work done on my bike and, on advice from the shop, decided
>to go for 2 chains removing one and putting on a clean one every month or
>so. The chains I have are the type that join via 2 similar pieces that clip
>on to each other through the chain ends and slide into position. The demo in
>the shop seemed simple but of course after use I can't slide the 2 parts
>apart at all. I've squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent
>about 30 mins with no signs of movement - any tips on getting this chain off
>the bike?

If it's a powerlink you are using, you need to pinch the plates
inwards, then slide them apart. Once you get the knck it will be very
quick and easy.

See here:

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/SRAM/chains2.htm

>Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain in
>or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white spirit or
>turps or something?

White spirit. Cheap, less volatile then petrol and can be reused by
allowing all the crud to settle out.

"Bob"

--

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

"Stephen (aka steford)" wrote

> The chains I have are the type that join via 2 similar pieces that clip
> on to each other through the chain ends and slide into position. The demo
> in
> the shop seemed simple but of course after use I can't slide the 2 parts
> apart at all. I've squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent
> about 30 mins with no signs of movement - any tips on getting this chain
> off
> the bike?

With mine it's necessary to squeeze the two plates together then
push the two adjacent links together to force the pins down in
to the wider part of the keyhole shape..

> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain
> in
> or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white spirit
> or
> turps or something?

Don't know about simpler, but there's got to be something safer
than petrol. I use white spirit.

Dave.

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:03:55 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <R_e_M_sabotenO_v_E@T_H_i_Skei99.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Recently had some work done on my bike and, on advice from the shop,
>> decided to go for 2 chains removing one and putting on a clean one
>> every month or so. The chains I have are the type that join via 2
>> similar pieces that clip on to each other through the chain ends and
>> slide into position. The demo in the shop seemed simple but of
>> course after use I can't slide the 2 parts apart at all. I've
>> squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent about 30 mins
>> with no signs of movement - any tips on getting this chain off the
>> bike?

> If it's a powerlink you are using, you need to pinch the plates
> inwards, then slide them apart. Once you get the knck it will be very
> quick and easy.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/SRAM/chains2.htm
>
>> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the
>> chain in or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions
>> eg white spirit or turps or something?

> White spirit. Cheap, less volatile then petrol and can be reused by
> allowing all the crud to settle out.
>

> "Bob"

Thanks mate. Looks easy :)

David Lowther wrote:
> "Stephen (aka steford)" wrote
>
>> The chains I have are the type that join via 2 similar pieces that
>> clip on to each other through the chain ends and slide into
>> position. The demo in
>> the shop seemed simple but of course after use I can't slide the 2
>> parts apart at all. I've squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things
>> up but spent about 30 mins with no signs of movement - any tips on
>> getting this chain off
>> the bike?

> With mine it's necessary to squeeze the two plates together then
> push the two adjacent links together to force the pins down in
> to the wider part of the keyhole shape..
>
>> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the
>> chain in
>> or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white
>> spirit or
>> turps or something?

> Don't know about simpler, but there's got to be something safer
> than petrol. I use white spirit.
>
> Dave.

Do you leave it soaking in white spirit or just wipe it with it?

Thanks.

in message <[email protected]>, Stephen (aka
steford) ('R_e_M_sabotenO_v_E@T_H_i_Skei99.co.uk') wrote:

> Recently had some work done on my bike and, on advice from the shop,
> decided to go for 2 chains removing one and putting on a clean one
> every month or so. The chains I have are the type that join via 2
> similar pieces that clip on to each other through the chain ends and
> slide into position. The demo in the shop seemed simple but of course
> after use I can't slide the 2 parts apart at all. I've squirted on
> WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent about 30 mins with no signs
> of movement - any tips on getting this chain off the bike?

Squeeze the two halves of the link, they then slide easily (if they're
genuine SRAM, which from your description it seems they are). It's a
knack - practice it with the chain that's off the bike.

> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the
> chain in or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg
> white spirit or turps or something?

White spirits works; I personally prefer parafin. Petrol works very
well, but it is rather flammable.

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:03:55 +0100, Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain in
> or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white spirit or
> turps or something?

Petrol? I don't think that is very safe.

Google for Sheldon Brown.
He has a page on using a plastic Coke or Pepsi bottle.
Put the chain into the bottle, cap on and shake vigourously.
Fish out with a bent coathanger.
I use white spirit. You can reuse it if you let the grit settle out.

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain in
> or wipe with before using it again.

Noooooo! Diesel perhaps, but white spirit in a jar is good. Shake the
chain up in it, and afterwards you can let it stand and then decant the
clear liquid into a second jar, leaving the crud behind. Wash the white
spirit away with detergent, rinse with water and bake at Gas Mark 1 for
half an hour (yes, really).

"Stephen (aka steford)" <R_e_M_sabotenO_v_E@T_H_i_Skei99.co.uk> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the chain
> in
> or wipe with before using it again. Any simpler solutions eg white spirit
> or
> turps or something?
>
> Thanks.

Don't use petrol, I know someone who was very badly burnt as a result of
cleaning with petrol.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
> > Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the

chain in
> > or wipe with before using it again.

> Noooooo! Diesel perhaps, but white spirit in a jar is good. Shake the
> chain up in it, and afterwards you can let it stand and then decant the
> clear liquid into a second jar, leaving the crud behind. Wash the white
> spirit away with detergent, rinse with water and bake at Gas Mark 1 for
> half an hour (yes, really).

This is how we used to clean motor bike chains off our trial bikes back when
I were a lad. We then followed it up by putting the chain in very hot engine
oil and as it cooled the oil was sucked into the rollers (we believed). When
cold, the chain was hung up to drip dry and then the excess wiped off prior
to storage (or re-use).

Paul.
PS if the oil ever got hot enough to 'smoke', you were very, very close to a
very very serious fire.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
>> Next up - the bike shop recommended petrol as a cleaner to keep the
>> chain in or wipe with before using it again.

> Noooooo! Diesel perhaps, but white spirit in a jar is good. Shake
> the
> chain up in it, and afterwards you can let it stand and then decant
> the
> clear liquid into a second jar, leaving the crud behind. Wash the
> white spirit away with detergent, rinse with water and bake at Gas
> Mark 1 for
> half an hour (yes, really).

Really thorough. The lazy man's alternative is just to rinse in another
container of white spirit then hang up to dry... and it will.

~PB

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:03:55 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <R_e_M_sabotenO_v_E@T_H_i_Skei99.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Recently had some work done on my bike and, on advice from the shop,
>> decided to go for 2 chains removing one and putting on a clean one
>> every month or so. The chains I have are the type that join via 2
>> similar pieces that clip on to each other through the chain ends and
>> slide into position. The demo in the shop seemed simple but of
>> course after use I can't slide the 2 parts apart at all. I've
>> squirted on WD40 to try and loosen things up but spent about 30 mins
>> with no signs of movement - any tips on getting this chain off the
>> bike?

> If it's a powerlink you are using, you need to pinch the plates
> inwards, then slide them apart. Once you get the knck it will be very
> quick and easy.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/SRAM/chains2.htm

ie
"To take it apart first get the chain off the chainrings to remove
derailleur tension. Make a loop of chain, about 7 or 8 links long, with the
Power Link in the middle. Hold on to it with your fist. Your other hand is
free. Using just your index finger and your thumb, lightly touch the flat
side plates of the Power Link. The two plates should move in a small
amount, almost imperceptible. Now gently push the two riveted points (where
the pin is riveted into the plate end) towards each other."

With your third hand, presumably.
--

Martin Bulmer

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:49:07 +0100, Peter Grange
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The Coke Bottle system worked well for me right up to the fishing it out
>again bit. I ended up cutting the bottle in half to get the chain out.
>Maybe I don't have the patience to be a _real_ cyclist.

For a wider necked experience, try those big plastic cartons posh soup
comes in. Available at a soupermarket near you.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:49:07 +0100, Peter Grange
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >The Coke Bottle system worked well for me right up to the fishing
> >it out again bit. I ended up cutting the bottle in half to get the
> >chain out. Maybe I don't have the patience to be a _real_ cyclist.

> For a wider necked experience, try those big plastic cartons posh
> soup comes in. Available at a soupermarket near you.

Thorntons toffee jar. Clear plastic, straight sided, very wide necked.
As well as the standard Sheldon Shake you can get a really good
round-and-round swirl going. That seems to be quite effective. Of
course you have to eat the original contents first so you will probably
have to have all your fillings redone.

A way to speed up drying the chain is to take it outside and whirl it
round and round. Make sure no-one is standing near you or you'll have
their eye out.

--
Dave...

Tim Hall wrote:

> For a wider necked experience, try those big plastic cartons posh soup
> comes in. Available at a soupermarket near you.

A normal-length chain fits in a jam jar.

White spirit desolves some plastics, eg. margarine tubs.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> White spirit desolves some plastics, eg. margarine tubs.

And petrol dissolves some ice cream tubs, especially the blue ones. Don't
ask me how I know this...

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.