removing cleat plugs on casual shoes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jtill, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. jtill

    jtill New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes:
    I just bought a pair of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats off the sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but haven't gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can help, but I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.

    Thanx,
    jeremy

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    jtill <[email protected]> wrote in news:18bYb.39120$kU1.33960
    @fe20.usenetserver.com:
    > I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
    > of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but
    > have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats
    > off the sole?

    You may need to use a pocket knife to cut the panel loose. Then pull it off with a pair of pliers.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    jtill wrote:

    > I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
    > of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but have
    > a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats off the
    > sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but haven't
    > gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can help, but
    > I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.

    Gouge a needlenose pliers under one corner and pull. We've seen messy adventures with razor knives.
    They are not required here.

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    A Muzi <[email protected]> typed:
    > jtill wrote:
    >
    >> I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
    >> of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but
    >> have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats
    >> off the sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but
    >> haven't gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can
    >> help, but I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.
    >

    > Gouge a needlenose pliers under one corner and pull. We've seen messy adventures with razor
    > knives. They are not required here.

    Geez, yeah. That whole 9/11 thing and all. ;^/

    Mike