removing cleat plugs on casual shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtill

Dec 27, 2003
I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes:
I just bought a pair of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats off the sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but haven't gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can help, but I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.

Thanx,
jeremy

jtill <[email protected]> wrote in news:18bYb.39120$kU1.33960
@fe20.usenetserver.com:
> I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
> of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but
> have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats
> off the sole?

You may need to use a pocket knife to cut the panel loose. Then pull it off with a pair of pliers.

jtill wrote:

> I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
> of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but have
> a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats off the
> sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but haven't
> gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can help, but
> I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.

>
Gouge a needlenose pliers under one corner and pull. We've seen messy adventures with razor knives.
They are not required here.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In news:[email protected],
A Muzi <[email protected]> typed:
> jtill wrote:
>
>> I may just be proving my own thickheadedness by posting this but here goes: I just bought a pair
>> of Lake LXG2 "casual" cycling shes. They're along the lines of a freeride/BMX/skater shoe but
>> have a stiff sole and accept SPD's. How do I get the plug that covers the slots for the cleats
>> off the sole? I've gone at it from both sides (took out the insole) with various prying tools but
>> haven't gotten the thing to budge. It would be great if somebody else with the same shoes can
>> help, but I'm sure methods that work for other brands can help here.
>
>>
> Gouge a needlenose pliers under one corner and pull. We've seen messy adventures with razor
> knives. They are not required here.

Geez, yeah. That whole 9/11 thing and all. ;^/

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.