Removing Clement Gutta from a tubular

Charles Beristain <[email protected]> writes:

>> small-radius rim. The tire was adhering only at the edges. We built
>> up the center similarly with a cotton strip.

> I'm new to tubulars... just got a set and have been reading as much
> as I can to determine the best way to glue the tubulars to carbon
> rims.

> Is it true that .. thick glue=hysterisis and increased rolling
> resistance? If so .. what technique should be used to minimize
> losses in the glue interface?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/mounting-tubulars.html

Jobst Brandt

Charles Beristain wrote:
> I'm new to tubulars... just got a set and have been reading as much as
> I can to determine the best way to glue the tubulars to carbon rims.
>
> Is it true that .. thick glue=hysterisis and increased rolling
> resistance? If so .. what technique should be used to minimize losses
> in the glue interface?

Some riders obsess over it. I just ride my bike.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Apr 16, 12:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I tried them all. They don't hold when the rim gets hot. I once
> tried riding wood rims in the 1960's. That worked but the brakes
> didn't; the pads burned off at a great rate having no heat sink.

The hard data at the very least forces shades of gray into Brandt's
statement of black and white. Testing shows that Vittoria Mastik
maintains considerable stick- more than some glues at room
temperature- as rim temperatures rise to a point where they are too
hot to touch. We don't know how hot Brandt's rims got back in the old
days, and whether Mastik would still keep a good hold under those
circumstances. Also, Brandt was riding unpaved, steep, heavily
switched back Alpine roads, and it follows that there would not be as
much braking on paved roads. Finally, as far as I can tell, Mastik did
not exist at the time, so his contention that he "tried them all"
would appear to be false. At this point he will normally claim
"they're all the same". The hard experimental data proves that also
false. I could go on, but I gotta go if I want to get in a ride before
work.