Removing crown race

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John S, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Guest

What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this? I
    want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.

Thanks, John

Tags:

2. John S wrote:
    > What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    > screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this?
    > I want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.
    >
    > Thanks, John

Park now makes a special tool for it, but its kinda expensive unless you're a tool freak or own a
    bike shop.

I've been told to take a fairly flat punch, and lightly tap the race from the bottom, alternating
    sides so as not to ovalize it. You might find a little bit of grease right above the race will help
    it slide easier.

Jon Bond

3. On 6 Apr 2003, John S wrote:
    > What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    > screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this?
    > I want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.

Insert the fork upside inside a vise. Close, without fastening, till when the crown race sits on the
    jaws. Hammer from the above after interposing a wooden block.

Save your money on special tools, when just a little ingenuity is enough!

Sergio Pisa

4. G.Daniels

G.Daniels Guest

heat with propane and place machete inbetween-tap machete with hammer.

5. S. Anderson

S. Anderson Guest

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > heat with propane and place machete inbetween-tap machete with hammer.

Propane torch?? Machete?? I think you went through a different appreticeship program than
    I did!! ;-)

Cheers!

Scott..

6. G.Daniels

G.Daniels Guest

diy bike cable luber group:rec.bicycles.tech has an essay on headset repair. i received a cawment on
    the approach-that the essay was meant for the retarded!!-the essay is meant for the intelligent
    educated reader. other readers of lesser intelligence, for example those not owning torque
    wrenchs,would attack the crown race with a machete. and without cleaning the surfaces, applying
    penetrating oil or dig it!! blocking the unit with a tuba!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.