Removing crown race

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John S, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this? I
    want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.

    Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. John S wrote:
    > What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    > screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this?
    > I want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.
    >
    > Thanks, John

    Park now makes a special tool for it, but its kinda expensive unless you're a tool freak or own a
    bike shop.

    I've been told to take a fairly flat punch, and lightly tap the race from the bottom, alternating
    sides so as not to ovalize it. You might find a little bit of grease right above the race will help
    it slide easier.

    Jon Bond

  3. On 6 Apr 2003, John S wrote:
    > What's the best way to remove the crown race from a fork steerer? Is it just a matter of taking a
    > screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer till it comes off, or is there a special tool to do this?
    > I want to reuse it, so I'd like not too damage it too much.

    Insert the fork upside inside a vise. Close, without fastening, till when the crown race sits on the
    jaws. Hammer from the above after interposing a wooden block.

    Save your money on special tools, when just a little ingenuity is enough!

    Sergio Pisa

  4. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    heat with propane and place machete inbetween-tap machete with hammer.

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > heat with propane and place machete inbetween-tap machete with hammer.

    Propane torch?? Machete?? I think you went through a different appreticeship program than
    I did!! ;-)

    Cheers!

    Scott..

  6. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    diy bike cable luber group:rec.bicycles.tech has an essay on headset repair. i received a cawment on
    the approach-that the essay was meant for the retarded!!-the essay is meant for the intelligent
    educated reader. other readers of lesser intelligence, for example those not owning torque
    wrenchs,would attack the crown race with a machete. and without cleaning the surfaces, applying
    penetrating oil or dig it!! blocking the unit with a tuba!!