Removing frame lacquer/decals?

SteveParry

Feb 26, 2008
I recently bought a bike which has been resprayed recently with the previous owner's name on downtube and seat tube. It's a Harry Hall 531 frame nicely painted and I want to take the (one coat) lacquer and decals underneath off. I took it to Visual Impact (Bristol) who do Argos's decalling. They suggested I phone Argos which I'll do tommorrow.

But has anyone done this? I don't want to respray the entire frame. Just want to remove the lacquer from over the decals, then peel the existing (vinyl) decals off. Then affix new Harry Hall decals from Visual Impact and apply lacquer over top. Applying and then peeling off some sticky backing in the shop brought some of the single coat of lacquer off and showed how delicate the decal underneath was. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Steve

2294109549_c4bae1f4c6.jpg

Try this (or, think about trying this):

Use some 0000 steel wool (or, 250-to-500 grit wet-dry sandpaper) to break the "clear coat" around the edge of the decals ...

Lay some masking tape (or, a stickier tape) on the decals ... rub the tape as if you were lightly burnishing it (use a wooden popsicle stick or tongue depressor or paper folder or "stick" pen or your finger tip/nail) ... pull the tape off.

Depending on the decal, some-or-all of it will/should pull away from the frame.

Repeat as necessary.

is it a sticker? The trick I have been using is a hair dryer on high very close to it makes the edges want to peel up...a heat gun works too...hair dryer seems safest and works just as well...once the sticker begins peeling up just rip it off with your hand...good luck

I would suggest that the OP search the forum for "frame painting". Reckon had a nice detailed post about this including removing decals.