Removing freehub

Antan1

Mar 3, 2013
Hi, anybody give me some advice on how to remove a freehub (make unknown) looks like an allenkey/wrench fitting through the middle of the hub, 10mm allen is to small so I have to go and source a bigger one, when I get the correct size, which way do I turn it to undo it, looking from the disc rotor side.
Reason, just replaced the rear axle and bearings (bent and pitted) and the hub itself is now stiffer than it was, resulting in the chain going slack and dropping when slightly back pedaling, I presume I got to much grease in there somewhere and it needs cleaning out.
Thanks
Rob

The hollow bolt Shimano uses to hold their freehub bodies to the hubs has a regular thread. But Shimano freehubs usually comes off from the driveside.

You'd better hold off until someone who has a better guess of what hub you might have has a chance to chime in.

I have done some research and am almost certain it is a joytech type of hub, which you undo with a key from the inside of the hub.
Update I took the cassette off, dust seals off and got thin oil into the hub, this made the hub spin ok, however when I put the seal on the hub side back on the freehub was not so free?.
Wheel back on the bike the rear deraileur spring is not strong enough to take up the slack on the chain when slightly pedaling backwards, the chain drops to the frame.
I have read that the deraileur (shimano alvero) has a very weak spring, a stronger one like the sram x5 would solve the problem, or remove the seal from the hub, or new freehub and seal.
Any ideas