Removing Frozen Campy Record Bottom Bracket Cup (Right)

Kendall

Guest
I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom
bracket and have removed the bottom bracket assembly from
the left side no problem. But the right bottom bracket cup
is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy tool are
now stripped. The assembler must've used to much torque or
didn't prepare properly. Any other ideas on how to get this
sucker out without messing up the bottom bracket shell. The
frame is a Pegoretti steel and the BB has been in there for
about 5 years. The shell doesn't seem rusty or corroded
inside at all. Just grease.

Thanks,

Ken

Kendall wrote:
> I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom
> bracket and have removed the bottom bracket assembly from
> the left side no problem. But the right bottom bracket cup
> is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy tool
> are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much
> torque or didn't prepare properly. Any other ideas on how
> to get this sucker out without messing up the bottom
> bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel and the BB
> has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't
> seem rusty or corroded inside at all. Just grease.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Had the exact same problem once. My solution was to take it
to the LBS. He'll use a tool that I think looks like a
headset press. The right cup came out in about 2 minutes
using this tool.

Hope this helped.

Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee wrote:

> Kendall wrote:
>
>> I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom
>> bracket and have removed the bottom bracket assembly from
>> the left side no problem. But the right bottom bracket
>> cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy
>> tool are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much
>> torque or didn't prepare properly. Any other ideas on how
>> to get this sucker out without messing up the bottom
>> bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel and the BB
>> has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't
>> seem rusty or corroded inside at all. Just grease.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Had the exact same problem once. My solution was to take
> it to the LBS. He'll use a tool that I think looks like a
> headset press. The right cup came out in about 2 minutes
> using this tool.

Also check that they know whether it's right-hand or left-
hand threaded. Once had the LBS clamp that tool in a vice so
they could get two guys to use the whole length of our
tandem frame as a lever. I suggested that before applying
that much force they check to see if the threading might be
the opposite way and the cup came right out.

Rick Onanian wrote:

> I imagine that Sheldon Brown's improvised nut-and-bolt BB
> cup tool will work. See
> http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html .

Yep, but I can't take credit. Although I wrote it up, I
didn't invent it, and I'd imagine that trick is older than
even I am!

Sheldon "Bolt" Brown +---------------------------------------
+
| The cure for boredom is curiosity. | There is no cure
| for curiosity. | -- Ellen Parr |
+---------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery,
West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-
1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Kenny Lee wrote:
> Kendall wrote:
>
>> I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom
>> bracket and have removed the bottom bracket assembly from
>> the left side no problem. But the right bottom bracket
>> cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy
>> tool are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much
>> torque or didn't prepare properly. Any other ideas on how
>> to get this sucker out without messing up the bottom
>> bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel and the BB
>> has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't
>> seem rusty or corroded inside at all. Just grease.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Had the exact same problem once. My solution was to take
> it to the LBS. He'll use a tool that I think looks like a
> headset press. The right cup came out in about 2 minutes
> using this tool.

Anybody happen to know what this tool is called, and who
makes them? I have the same problem, and my LBS can't look
at the bike for 3 weeks.

Cheers

Pete

> Hope this helped.
>
> Kenny Lee

I don't happen to know what the tool is called either,
but you might look for "Loose Screws" in Google. It won't
be cheap...

Peter C told me to get a Dremel tool and a bunch of emory
cutting wheels. Start cutting wedges out of the cup, and you
can eventually get it out. Be careful when you're cutting
near the threads. You will want to get your threads chased
once you're finished. (If you absolutely can't wait for the
LBS to use chasing tools on it, find an old steel cup and
CAREFULLY see how it threads. Mess up here -ie, cross thread
it- and you really have problems!)

Whatever, I rescued my '71 Raleigh Pro frame this way.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> ningi-<< He'll use a tool that I think looks like a
> headset press. The right cup
>
>>came out in about 2 minutes using this tool.
>>

> Anybody happen to know what this tool is called, and who
> makes them? >><BR><BR>
>
> Think this gent is thinking of the tool to take a right
> side, fixed cup out of a conventional or loose ball
> BB..Not a modern Campagnolo model.

Ah.

Anyway, 3 hours of careful cutting with a hacksaw blade
sorted the problem. I wasn't brave enough for a dremel. No
idea why it didn't want to come out originally though.

Pete