Removing FSA Omega MegaExo Crankset

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
I'd like to remove my Fsa Omega MegaExo (compact) crankset, and am trying to figure out if the crank bolt is a self-extracting type, in which case I'm assuming that I don't mess with the surrounding circular piece with holes in it. I hope I'm correct by simply unscrewing the crank bolt with a standard hex key.

Apparently the piece in question - which looks like a dust cap, but isn't - is not to be taken off, and is part of the self-extracting design of the crank bolt? I was all prepared to buy a spanner wrench from Park Tools and remove it, but found a link yesterday explaining otherwise, and now I can't find the link. I'm just looking for confirmation, before I start messing around with it.

Please advise, and see the attached photo for reference.

Thanks!

Good idea to ask.

Yep, that's a self-extracting crank bolt. You just loosen the crank bolt with an 8mm Allen wrench. Before doing that, though, I like to drip a little thin oil between the bolt and outer nut to help lubricate the extraction, and make sure the nut is snugged down, using a pin spanner . You don't know whether this was assembled with grease or not. Then, when reassembling, grease the threads of the spindle and apply some grease between the crank bolt and the nut from the back.

Reactions: Dansky
Thanks, Oldbobcat. I have already had a squeak develop inside the BB and the bike is still fairly new -- purchased this March, and I only put about 120 miles a week on it. Only rode it through some rain once, so apparently the FSA BB didn't like that too much.

I think it was either you or Alfeng who once gave me the tip to drizzle household oil down into a squeaky BB but this is an external bearing type. The oil tip got me through a 73 miler this Saturday, but now the squeak is back.

I'm thinking I'd like to switch this out with a Shimano 105 crankset and external bearing BB, and wanted to ask if that would fit into my Bianchi Impulso road bike.