Removing gears from backwheel

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alex, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi,

    I'm wondering whether it is possible to remove the gears from the backwheel
    of my mountain bike, and put the gears onto a frontwheel instead?

    The reason why I'd like to do this is that my backwheel is bent, and but I
    have an extra frontwheel...

    regards,
    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:40:59 +0100, <[email protected]>,
    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm wondering whether it is possible to remove the gears from the backwheel
    >of my mountain bike, and put the gears onto a frontwheel instead?
    >
    >The reason why I'd like to do this is that my backwheel is bent, and but I
    >have an extra frontwheel...

    No. The hubs are different.

    You can use the rim from your extra front wheel if it's the same
    effective diameter as the bent one. That requires re lacing and truing
    the wheel.
    --
    zk

  3. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering whether it is possible to remove the gears from the

    backwheel
    > of my mountain bike, and put the gears onto a frontwheel instead?
    >
    > The reason why I'd like to do this is that my backwheel is bent, and but I
    > have an extra frontwheel...
    >
    > regards,
    > Alex

    The answer is yes ... and no. Yes, you can remove the gear cluster
    (cassette) from the rear wheel. No, you can't put it on a spare front
    wheel. Well, you could, but only if you converted the front wheel to a rear
    wheel by having it rebuilt with a rear hub. The hubs on the front and back
    wheels are specific for each wheel. The rear hub is designed with what's
    called a "freehub body" which holds all those gears.

    Take your rear wheel to a bike shop. Maybe they can straighten it ... or
    rebuild it without too much expense.

    Good luck.

    Bob C.

  4. gds

    gds Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm wondering whether it is possible to remove the gears from the

    > backwheel
    > > of my mountain bike, and put the gears onto a frontwheel instead?
    > >
    > > The reason why I'd like to do this is that my backwheel is bent, and but I
    > > have an extra frontwheel...
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Alex
    > >

    > The answer is yes ... and no. Yes, you can remove the gear cluster
    > (cassette) from the rear wheel. No, you can't put it on a spare front
    > wheel. Well, you could, but only if you converted the front wheel to a rear
    > wheel by having it rebuilt with a rear hub. The hubs on the front and back
    > wheels are specific for each wheel. The rear hub is designed with what's
    > called a "freehub body" which holds all those gears.
    >
    > Take your rear wheel to a bike shop. Maybe they can straighten it ... or
    > rebuild it without too much expense.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Bob C.

    No but you can switch the handle bars and the seat!

  5. dreaded

    dreaded Guest

    "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I'm wondering whether it is possible to remove the gears from the

    > > backwheel
    > > > of my mountain bike, and put the gears onto a frontwheel instead?
    > > >
    > > > The reason why I'd like to do this is that my backwheel is bent, and

    but I
    > > > have an extra frontwheel...
    > > >
    > > > regards,
    > > > Alex
    > > >

    > > The answer is yes ... and no. Yes, you can remove the gear cluster
    > > (cassette) from the rear wheel. No, you can't put it on a spare front
    > > wheel. Well, you could, but only if you converted the front wheel to a

    rear
    > > wheel by having it rebuilt with a rear hub. The hubs on the front and

    back
    > > wheels are specific for each wheel. The rear hub is designed with

    what's
    > > called a "freehub body" which holds all those gears.
    > >
    > > Take your rear wheel to a bike shop. Maybe they can straighten it ...

    or
    > > rebuild it without too much expense.
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > > Bob C.

    > No but you can switch the handle bars and the seat!

    i wonder if you can put a bottom bracket where the wheel hub is in the
    front, put crank and pedals on it, put the rear wheel hub and cassettes
    where the botton bracket is, switch the handlebars and seat and then do a
    wheelie! :p
    -a