removing gears from hub... how?

Benzboy300D

Aug 5, 2004
hey all, I am a mountain biker and when i can, a racing biker...
I have a ruined 26" rim that i need the gears from...
I know i could go to a bike shop, but they rape on the costs... I only need 2 gears, as i have a motorized bike project going...

i dont care about the rim, I have more, that dont slap the frame on both sides...

How can i remove the gears from the hub without damaging the gears... again, this is a ruined rim, so i could, if i felt like it, run it over and hit it or something...

anyone know a trick?

Nate

Benzboy300D said:
hey all, I am a mountain biker and when i can, a racing biker...
I have a ruined 26" rim that i need the gears from...
I know i could go to a bike shop, but they rape on the costs... I only need 2 gears, as i have a motorized bike project going...

i dont care about the rim, I have more, that dont slap the frame on both sides...

How can i remove the gears from the hub without damaging the gears... again, this is a ruined rim, so i could, if i felt like it, run it over and hit it or something...

anyone know a trick?

Nate
Depends on if its hyperglide, uniglide or freewheel cogs. HG requires a lockring remover and ideally a chainwhip. uniglide needs two chainwhips to remove the screw on first cog.freewheel requires the specific rmoveal tool and sometimes a vice to clamp tool and wheel in for leverage. A shop will probably do it for less than the cost of any tool.You could probably beat off the lockring or first uniglide cog with a screwdiver and hammer.

boudreaux said:
Depends on if its hyperglide, uniglide or freewheel cogs. HG requires a lockring remover and ideally a chainwhip. uniglide needs two chainwhips to remove the screw on first cog.freewheel requires the specific rmoveal tool and sometimes a vice to clamp tool and wheel in for leverage. A shop will probably do it for less than the cost of any tool.You could probably beat off the lockring or first uniglide cog with a screwdiver and hammer.
dont know the speicifics of it... i will take a pic if it helps... but my camara abslolutly stinks... anyways... heres a pic

http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/75444/unknownbikehub.JPG

o... and i have a way to do it without braking the gear... put a peice of chain around it... to spread out the load...

i thought they were threaded, but i could be mistaken.,..

if it is threaded, which way do i turn the gears?
Nate

Benzboy300D said:
dont know the speicifics of it... i will take a pic if it helps... but my camara abslolutly stinks... anyways... heres a pic

http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/75444/unknownbikehub.JPG
That was somewhat beyond worthless,but if I really had to guess it looks like hyperglide lockring. if so It should say hyperglide or have 12 notches in it for the removal tool.A sram lockring just has the same 12 notches.

well, im not into the sport very much... so i dont know the differance
what angle would you want it from? from the side, bottom... i dunno?
this was off a cheap wallmart bike, if it helps
thanks for the help,
Nate

boudreaux said:
That was somewhat beyond worthless,but if I really had to guess it looks like hyperglide lockring. if so It should say hyperglide or have 12 notches in it for the removal tool.A sram lockring just has the same 12 notches.

LOL! It appears to be a 5 speed though boudreaux (if I was able to count correctly). Is there such a thing as HG 5 spd?

meehs said:
LOL! It appears to be a 5 speed though boudreaux (if I was able to count correctly). Is there such a thing as HG 5 spd?
its a 5 speed... so yes, you counted correctly ;p

what determans what it is, so i can get a pic of it...
Nate

I'm not sure but since it's a five-speed, it might be an "old-style" thread-on freewheel. To remove them you need a special "extractor" tool and there are different tools for different types of freewheels. The extractor engages splines on the inside of the freewheel and then you can use a wrench (you might need a vice like boudreaux said) to loosen it. If I were you I'd just take it to a bike shop. They probably wouldn't charge you much to pull it and since you're not sure what it is you're working with, I'm just guessing anyway.

meehs said:
I'm not sure but since it's a five-speed, it might be an "old-style" thread-on freewheel. To remove them you need a special "extractor" tool and there are different tools for different types of freewheels. The extractor engages splines on the inside of the freewheel and then you can use a wrench (you might need a vice like boudreaux said) to loosen it. If I were you I'd just take it to a bike shop. They probably wouldn't charge you much to pull it and since you're not sure what it is you're working with, I'm just guessing anyway.
anyone see anything wrong with running a big drill bit threw it? to kill the splines so i can unthread it?

Nate

well fudge it... im going to barrow a sawsall and cut off the gear i want... ;p

tks everyone
Nate

Benzboy300D said:
well fudge it... im going to barrow a sawsall and cut off the gear i want... ;p

tks everyone
Nate

I guess I didn't understand the part where you don't care if you completely destroy the thing. Never mind.

o... thought i mentioned that... i just wanted the gear...
other than that, its going in the trash...
I ended up killing the blade (cheap made in china junk)
so i just used a 24tooth sprocked instead... the wheel has a larger one... but im to lazy to count the teeth
the motor spins 6k rpm, so its going to be alot of revving...

the gear that i mounted to the wheel will make it me going full boor to move it...

Nate

Im mounting a motor onto a 20inch bike (going to put the ape hangers far forward, and cut bend and braze the seat bar... so i dont pretzle myself)

I am a 14 year old who is really boared... and knows how to build bikes... just not very knolagabal on what they parts are called

o, and p.s. ill post pics when i get it done...

Nate

meehs said:
If it's a freewheel,its just easier to leave it on the hub to get the cogs off. But that requires a special too or sometimes a pair of chainwhips depending on type.