Removing handlebar support post....

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Hello,
I am a lowly newb in a new realm and would greatly appreciate some advice from this great collection of cycling enthusiasts. I recently obtained a 1979 Schwinn Continental II big frame bike in relatively good
shape and am going through it. Have a background in engineering and am stripping the bike down to lightly refirb it for street riding. I promise to not get too anal with my questions but have a couple to pose as follows:

- Am trying to remove the handlebar support post. So far have been unsuccessful. Have loosened the allen set screw and tapped down on it in an effort to dislodge the wedge which tightens against the bottom of the post. Wedge hasn't moved and can't twist bars loose against the fork. Have also loosened the top fork nut at the base of the post. Any suggests short of more force? Bike is not rusty. Would PB Blaster penetrant help? Should I remove the allen screw and pound on the fork vertically downward with a rubber mallet to dislodge the lower wedge?

- Last quick question...local bike shop quoted me $18 ea. to true each wheel if I bring them in with tires dismounted. Is this a fair price?

Many Thanks and Hello to this great forum.
George

Squirt in some Liquid Wrench and let it sit overnight, then whack it with a rubber mallet. $18/wheel is about right for trueing.

Thanks for your response Capwater. Will give that a go.
Best Regards,
George