Removing 'lawyer lugs'

Paulie-AU wrote:

> But they are still QR, you just have to twist them loose a little.
> Takes about 5 seconds and is a heap easier than having nuts to undo (Or
> like my MTB forks which require 5 allen key bolts and axel removal to
> take the front wheel off...still only takes about 1 minute and I always
> carry a small allen key tool anyhow)
>
> I have on the otherhand experienced the whole front wheel not on any
> longer sensation. Both on BMX bikes and airborne. First time I
> thought huh someone has lost their wheel...SPLAT. Second time I went
> thats my wheel...ABORT.
>
> As for a roadie there would be a tiny tiny tiny tiny (I do wheelies
> much to Lottes disgust so only tiny for me) chance of the wheel coming
> out, but the results would be pretty horrible.

This is a bit off-topic, but my curiosity has taken hold. I have sometimes
seen guys riding along on one wheel even for quite long distances, and
often wondered about the technique involved. How do you do a wheelie on a
road bike?

Cheers,

Vince

TimC wrote:
> I wonder if a stubby would too?

The fit is a little bit loose, but this can be fixed with a stubby
holder or gaff tape.

Parbs - Still hoping someone got the pictures

On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:13:56 GMT, Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:

>TimC wrote:
>> I wonder if a stubby would too?
>>

>The fit is a little bit loose, but this can be fixed with a stubby
>holder or gaff tape.

I use a stubby holder so my small thermos fits snugly,
so if your stubby fits in a stubby holder ...

Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:

> If its the back wheel, my bane is refitting the chain on the derailleur
> while putting the wheel on, and trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid the
> grease.

Cheap latex gloves. 100 pack for ~$7. You look silly, but your hands
stay clean. Keep a pair in your back pack/seat pack.

--
..dt

dtmeister wrote:

> Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> If its the back wheel, my bane is refitting the chain on the derailleur
>> while putting the wheel on, and trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid the
>> grease.

> Cheap latex gloves. 100 pack for ~$7. You look silly, but your hands
> stay clean. Keep a pair in your back pack/seat pack.

Nice one. Thanks for that!

Cheers,

Vince

Karen Gallagher said:
So that when I rotate the quick release lever, the wheel is released.
I agree. I have road bikes. I absolutely get rid of mine -- they're a pain in the ****! Seems like i almost have to completely undo the lever before the wheel comes off. And, as you said, you've then gotta retension the skewer. I'm someone who's always changing tyres around (and wheels, for that matter), so they **** me to tears. :) I survived without them for the first 15 years I rode, riding steel bikes with steel forks.

Also, as the other person said, the drop-outs are most likely aluminium, so you won't get 'cancer' from filing them off :)

I use a file, and it takes about 20 seconds.

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-05-31, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>
>>I recall a caption comp in a motorcycle mag with a picture of a dirtbike
>>rider mid wheelie with the forks and wheel having dropped off his
>>bike, the wheel just landing.
>>
>>The winning one was "Oooh, I wonder if this one will fit!"

> "What do I do now? What do I do now?! I know, aim for the grass!"

My version of this long ago when in a rally car that suddenly would not
turn left.
Was exactly that Tim

Bloody mineshaft :(

Dave

On 2006-05-31, Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is a bit off-topic, but my curiosity has taken hold. I have sometimes
> seen guys riding along on one wheel even for quite long distances, and
> often wondered about the technique involved. How do you do a wheelie on a
> road bike?

Very, very carefully.

Karen Gallagher wrote:
> gplama wrote:
> > Karen Gallagher Wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd be just as well off using the old hubs I used to have with giant
> >> wing-nuts on to hold the wheels tight

> > <not very pro>

> 'twas all we had in the 60's :)

These may interest you :

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/skewers/skewers.html

Personally, I can't see the point. If you have a follow car and are
doing wheel changes during a race and have a team to pace you back to
the bunch? Otherwise? Seriously, how hard is it to get the tension
right?

Vincent Patrick wrote:
> This is a bit off-topic, but my curiosity has taken hold. I have sometimes
> seen guys riding along on one wheel even for quite long distances, and
> often wondered about the technique involved. How do you do a wheelie on a
> road bike?

Robbie McEwen can pull monos at will. It's a trademark when he wins
races, to pull a mono and give a peace sign with only one hand on the
bar. You can find pics on the net. Sensational!

Donga

DeF wrote:

> It's unlikely that the drop-outs are made of carbon fibre.

No it's not :)

I have one of each, a lot of the CF forked bikes these days have CF
dropouts.

> More likely alloy which is bonded to the carbon blades, which
> is the case with my two carbon forks. Easy to tell as there
> is bound to be paint scraped of around the drop-outs and the
> alloy will show through.

Yes, it's *very* easy to tell. Al Alloy feels different to CF, tap it
with your fingernail and you'll know the difference.

Michael Warner wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:23:40 +1000, Karen Gallagher wrote:
>
> > Any reason why I should not file them off? One's a carbon fork, by the way.
> > Seems such a shame to not have working QR hubs.

> I've seen them referred to as "lawyer lips", and I've file them off without
> problems so far. It shouldn't matter what the fork's made of, since (I
> presume) the dropout is alloy.

Don't make that assumption. It's often incorrect.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Michael Warner wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:23:40 +1000, Karen Gallagher wrote:
> >
> > > Any reason why I should not file them off? One's a carbon fork, by the

way.
> > > Seems such a shame to not have working QR hubs.

> > I've seen them referred to as "lawyer lips", and I've file them off

without
> > problems so far. It shouldn't matter what the fork's made of, since (I
> > presume) the dropout is alloy.

> Don't make that assumption. It's often incorrect.

Often?
99.99999999% of fork tips have got to be made out of either steel or
aluminium alloy. Both are OK to file.
Only the real richies can afford carbon fibre tips, and the benefit of those
are questionable anyway!
Anyone in this NG got non-metallic fork ends? Anyone?

Gemm

Gemma_k wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Michael Warner wrote:

> way.
> > >
> > > I've seen them referred to as "lawyer lips", and I've file them off

> without
> > > problems so far. It shouldn't matter what the fork's made of, since (I
> > > presume) the dropout is alloy.

> > Don't make that assumption. It's often incorrect.
> >

> Often?
> 99.99999999% of fork tips have got to be made out of either steel or
> aluminium alloy.

Nyet.

> Both are OK to file.
> Only the real richies can afford carbon fibre tips, and the benefit of those
> are questionable anyway!
> Anyone in this NG got non-metallic fork ends? Anyone?

My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.

One of my riders has a Giant something, with CF forks and CF dropouts.
I haven't checked the other ones, that's the only one I've pulled a
wheel out of.

> Gemm

> My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.

<snip>

Someone isn't living in the real world.....

;-)

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> > My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Someone isn't living in the real world.....

a richie bike is a lot more expensive than my client's Giant something
or other, or my entry level CF trek.

> ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemma_k wrote:
> > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

the
> > way.

> > without

(I

> > > Don't make that assumption. It's often incorrect.
> > >

> > Often?
> > 99.99999999% of fork tips have got to be made out of either steel or
> > aluminium alloy.

> Nyet.
>
> > Both are OK to file.
> > Only the real richies can afford carbon fibre tips, and the benefit of

those
> > are questionable anyway!
> > Anyone in this NG got non-metallic fork ends? Anyone?

> My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.

Ah, Treks, of course! They skimped on the steerer tube, and only put the
carbon where you can see it?

They don't count, ask Mr Hincapie how great they are :p

Gemma_k wrote:

> > My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.
> >

> Ah, Treks, of course! They skimped on the steerer tube, and only put the
> carbon where you can see it?
>
> They don't count, ask Mr Hincapie how great they are :p

Crash damage from a previous crash, not a problem with al alloy
steerers on pave :) Read the report again!

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemma_k wrote:
>
> > > My Trek Madone 5.2 has, and it's hardly a real richie bike.
> > >

> > Ah, Treks, of course! They skimped on the steerer tube, and only put

the
> > carbon where you can see it?
> >
> > They don't count, ask Mr Hincapie how great they are :p

> Crash damage from a previous crash, not a problem with al alloy
> steerers on pave :) Read the report again!

I was winding you up :p

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Karen Gallagher wrote:
> > gplama wrote:

> > > <not very pro>

> > 'twas all we had in the 60's :)

> These may interest you :
>
> http://www.neuvationcycling.com/skewers/skewers.html
>
> Personally, I can't see the point. If you have a follow car and are
> doing wheel changes during a race and have a team to pace you back to
> the bunch? Otherwise? Seriously, how hard is it to get the tension
> right?

You must have missed the parts of races where the team isn't around, and you
haven't even got your own team car there - it's nuetral spares, and they do
have to adjust the tension because each fork's got a different thickness -
it takes an age, race over!
Compared to a team car change where the QR's are adjusted right already for
the team fork... lickety split the changes are!
It should be quicker to change a front wheel than a back wheel, but it ain't
with lawyer lugs :-(
Wheel changes should be a one-handed affair, not a bending over two handed
trial and error process.

Gemm