Removing lawyer tabs

Karlo

May 12, 2003
I was wondering if anyone filed off the lawyer tabs on their fork. It seems like pros do it so they can change wheels quickly, but does anyone here do it? Is it safe? It seems like it could make the bike a little more dangerous...

I'd like to hear what people know and think.

I don't do it to my bikes but i just bought a second hand bike that has been 'racerfied'

its had the dropouts filed, left hand front braking (not normal in Australia) and a rock hard saddle

personally i don't think it makes the bike more dangerous unless you don't tighten the quick release enough.

even on an mtb i've never had a wheel loose.

unless you race in the sort of races that might need quick wheel changes i'd leave em on because its a fast way to void a warranty and reduce any chance you have of getting compo in an accident

I filed mine off. It's no problem. I just did it because I hate having to unscrew the skewer to get the wheel off. It's not more dangerous unless you're a fool.

Get a mill ******* file from any hardware store, 6 or 8 inch, and a handle (those tangs are sharp!). Use smooth steady strokes and pay attention to what you're doing. You can make it look like like they were never there in the first place if you take you're time.

Originally posted by Karlo
I was wondering if anyone filed off the lawyer tabs on their fork. It seems like pros do it so they can change wheels quickly, but does anyone here do it? Is it safe? It seems like it could make the bike a little more dangerous...

I'd like to hear what people know and think.
Forks use to be made without them. Know what you are doing with the QR. I would not do it on an MTB.

My new 1-1/8" Colnago fork on my C-50 didn't come with the tabs -- MUCH better when taking off the wheel!!!!!

Terry D.

Sure, I did it on my new bike shortly after getting it home. The framebuilder asked me if I'd be filing them off, but didn't want to do it himself for me. With Al dropouts now, a standard mill file will easily take them off. Just go slow and be careful not to gouge into the dropout itself.

These things really take the "quick" out of QR. I've never had a bike with them and feel they are something I don't need.

I've never done it myself but I know people who have and as far as I know it has never been a problem for them. Not too long ago threre weren't any forks that had the safety tabs. It's definitely a "cover your butt" move by the manufacturers.

It is an added safety though, in the event that you don't secure your quick-release properly. Unless you race a lot and really need to be able to perform a lightning fast flat repair, I'd say leave them alone. It really only takes a matter of seconds to remove your wheel. Even with the "lawyer tabs".