Removing logos from aluminum parts?

chrome frame

Jan 9, 2004
Hello, I want to remove the logos from aluminum parts. Like the crankset arms and RD. Anyone have any experience or ideas that wont harm the finish? Thanks in advance!

I am not sure what decals you are removing but I would try acetone. It takes off lots of stuff like that. I think that I would also clean the parts after with alcohol.

You could try cellulose thinners. It won't affect the anodising on aluminium but acts as a solvent to many plastic based compounds and paints.

Has anyone tried this? Sounds good, but I am a little skeptical to be a beta tester on this idea. Thanks

With Campy, you would have to abrade the logo off. It is anodized on, which is essentially a controlled corrosion process. Even if you could get the anodized part off, you would still see the logo etched into the original finish. Might try very fine steel wool, but no guarantee that this won't also muck up the finish.

I won't even fathom the reasons anyone would remove the Campy logo from that magnificently finished crankset... I know people who pay hundreds to get the logo on the crankset...

Originally posted by JohnO
With Campy, you would have to abrade the logo off. It is anodized on, which is essentially a controlled corrosion process. Even if you could get the anodized part off, you would still see the logo etched into the original finish. Might try very fine steel wool, but no guarantee that this won't also muck up the finish.

I won't even fathom the reasons anyone would remove the Campy logo from that magnificently finished crankset... I know people who pay hundreds to get the logo on the crankset...
Hello, thanks for the reply. Personally, I think the most logos are ugly. I like form and function. I want my bike free of all advertisements. Pure, to some extent, whatever that means. Anyhow, I think the modern campy logos are ugly. I mean, come on, the word record in blocks put in a rectangle. IMO, the logo is nowhere near as lovely as the crankset. I think the crankset, as well as most parts, are much sexier naked!

I've removed logos from aluminum using very fine steel wool with good success. It doesn't seem to do any harm to the finish. In fact the really fine stuff seems to polish the aluminum if anything. I've even used it to remove silk-screened logos from painted parts. It'll remove the logo without harming the paint.

Originally posted by meehs
I've removed logos from aluminum using very fine steel wool with good success. It doesn't seem to do any harm to the finish. In fact the really fine stuff seems to polish the aluminum if anything. I've even used it to remove silk-screened logos from painted parts. It'll remove the logo without harming the paint.
Yes, but if the record logo is anodized on, then wouldn't it take something more abrasive to remove a layer of the metal. Also, as you said, the steel wool will actually polish. Then, I will have a very shiny spot and I will have to finish the job on the rest of the crankset (at least the arms) to match it.

Originally posted by chrome frame
Has anyone tried this? Sounds good, but I am a little skeptical to be a beta tester on this idea. Thanks

I've done this with Acetone. Works pretty good. I actually got some acetone on my cyclecomputer and it actually started to not only take away the logo, but also the paint underneath. So, if your logo is painted on then go for it. Lacquer thinner is also good. Get whatever's cheaper at the Home Depot.

Well, it seems like I actually have to go the slow and painful route. I tried starting with 1500 paper but it was too slow. So, I am finding that 600 works fast enough. Then, I can go 1500, then wool. It takes a long time by hand but you can see the polish coming through. Despite what everyone says about the record finish.....I think it is not so great.....a very nice dull but not shiny and polished. So, it looks like the best record polish is the aftermarket hand polish. After I finish 1 side I will post some pictures to compare.....