Removing orange segment membranes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lens, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Lens

    Lens Guest

    Yesterday I decided I'd like some fruit salad the way Mom
    used to make it, which was pretty simple: gather together
    whatever fruit was around or available, cut it up and put it
    in a bowl. Chill and eat.

    This being winter in the Chicago area I was pretty much
    limited to apples, pears, grapes and navel oranges.

    Everything went well until I remembered that Mom used to
    remove the membranes from the navel orange segment, but I
    couldn't remember how she did it.

    I experimented and found a difficult way to do the chore,
    specifically puncturing the membrane with the tip of a
    paring knife and then slipping the blade under the membrane
    to slice it off the pulp. More laborious than it sounds.

    Is there an easy way to do this?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    -Len

    Tags:

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    Depends on the orange. If the membrane seems tight, your
    best bet is to peel the orange, but not separate the
    segments. Put it on the cutting board and slice the segments
    free of the membranes.

    I've been using ruby grapefruits (highly recommended, along
    with tangerines) in fruit salads. With those, and with some
    oranges, I sometimes ditch the knife and just peel the
    membrane away from each segment with my fingers. Make a
    notch in the middle and inside of each section, and then
    peel away from there. It's about as fast and you waste less.
    Peel them right over the bowl you're mixing the salad in, to
    catch any stray juice.

    Naomi D.

  3. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >puncturing the membrane with the tip of a paring knife
    >and then slipping the blade under the membrane to slice
    >it off the pulp

    That's more or less the way I do it, not worrying about the
    third side (circumference) membrane, which can stay and
    helps hold the segment together. Optional for oranges;
    necessary for grapefruit.

    Neil

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > LenS lenston

    Mom used to remove the
    >membranes from the navel orange segment, but I couldn't
    >remember how she did it.
    >
    >I experimented and found a difficult way to do the chore,
    >specifically puncturing the membrane with the tip of a
    >paring knife and then slipping the blade under the membrane
    >to slice it off the pulp. More laborious than it sounds.
    >
    >Is there an easy way to do this?

    Perhaps you're mom is an obsessive-compulsive... normal
    brained folks don't remove the membrane from navel
    oranges... are you sure it wasn't grapefruit... or maybe you
    remember her picking the lint from your pupik... hehe

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  5. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Everything went well until I remembered that Mom used to
    > remove the membranes from the navel orange segment, but I
    > couldn't remember how she did it.
    >
    > I experimented and found a difficult way to do the
    > chore, specifically puncturing the membrane with the tip
    > of a paring knife and then slipping the blade under the
    > membrane to slice it off the pulp. More laborious than
    > it sounds.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to do this?

    The technique you're referring to is called 'supreming'.
    There's a photograph and explanation here:

    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=c-
    hannel1427

    If that line wraps, you can use this link:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wtxb
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  6. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Donna
    Rose <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The technique you're referring to is called 'supreming'.
    > There's a photograph and explanation here:

    Thanks. I've been using the technique but couldn't remember
    what it was called. I use a small serrated salame, or
    tomato, knife which seems to work best for trimming away
    pith and cutting alongside membrane.

  7. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-15, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks. I've been using the technique but couldn't
    > remember what it was called. I use a small serrated
    > salame, or tomato, knife which seems to work best for
    > trimming away pith and cutting alongside membrane.

    This reminds me of an old thread from several years back.
    What is the name of the membrane covering citrus sections?
    As I recall, it stumped everyone and no one came up with
    an answer.

    nb