Removing press fit BB cups.

stickytoffeepud

Mar 19, 2010
I'm taking off the Shimano ultegra groupset supplied with my new scott cr1. I've got the cranks off but I need to get the press fit BB cups out (of an 86.5mm plain carbon shell) so I can fit campag ones. Is there a method I can use to push them out gradually without putting any stress on the frame? I did try using a plastic ended hammer and a sturdy piece of plastic rod to try and tap the cups out but they have not budged a mm. I know there is a tool used to drift them out but that involves using a hammer too.

stickytoffeepud said:
I'm taking off the Shimano ultegra groupset supplied with my new scott cr1. I've got the cranks off but I need to get the press fit BB cups out (of an 86.5mm plain carbon shell) so I can fit campag ones. Is there a method I can use to push them out gradually without putting any stress on the frame? I did try using a plastic ended hammer and a sturdy piece of plastic rod to try and tap the cups out but they have not budged a mm. I know there is a tool used to drift them out but that involves using a hammer too.
Try a WOOD dowel rod (or, the handle of another hammer) and use a real hammer to tap the bearing out.

stickytoffeepud said:

You know that the right hand cup is left threaded, correct..right cup loosens clockwise, left cup loosens counterclockwise.

Put tool on cup, put long extension handle on and smooth, even force to loosen and when reinstalling, use grease. Smacking it if is indeed 'stuck' can break the BB shel.