Removing Quick Release Wheels Regularly

JoeyF

Sep 24, 2015
Hi,

I'm looking at buying my first road bike but have an issue with bike storage.
We live in a small house with no garage/shed so I'm looking at options for storing my bike indoors.
My preference is to use a bike hanger and store it vertically on a wall.
The trouble is the only possible storage locations for the bike are quite tight so I think I'll need to remove the wheels in order for it to fit.
Does anyone have any advice on this if it would be a bad idea to have remove the wheels each time I come back from a ride?
I'm looking at something like a Giant Defy so it will have quick release wheels.

Thanks!

Front is no problem, I remove after most rides as we travel to the trail to ride. So removing front wheel is part of the process placing the front fork onto fixtures.

The rear is a different story. Seems that half the time I remove the wheel it can throw out the rear derailleur chain alignment no matter how careful I am. So I don't like to do it unless repairing a flat.

But what helps to store the bike is if you have an old beat up rear hub wit quick release that fits your frame. I used to carry a tandem on the rear rack of a small car so removing both wheels really helped.

Use the old hub to support the chain in the rear section rather than letting the chain dangle.

I had something like this to place on my bike when the rear wheel was off. I also had an old cogset (gears) that made it even that much more stable during transportation/storage.

This was found in a search so it has a bolt. I had a quick release with mine. You can even just use the quick release lever itself to support the chain if the hub is not available. Still better than letting the chain dangle freely.

old%20hub_zpsvzzmqchn.jpg

Pretty hard image to find to support my idea. So I did a little photo editing ha ha!

This is the front fork but I added in the virtual chain to show what I mean by hanging the chain onan old quick release,

Just pretend it's the rear wheel. :lol:

old%20hub1_zps2yz8kckz.jpg

Thanks Mr. Beanz
Yeah that seems like a good idea for the chain when the wheel is removed.
I'm going to have another look to see if I can store the bike with just the front wheel removed as this would be less trouble.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Like Mr. Beanz said, the front is no problem to get off.

The rear though...just make sure you have that swear jar at hand!

The rear shouldn't be difficult nor should it require gear adjustment afterwards. Due to the lack of lawyers tabs, it should be quicker to get the rear out than the front.

Open the QR, with your right hand pull the derailleur back a little and with both thumbs push the QR down/forward.

If it's difficult the either your axle spacing is off or your frame isn't true or have a 130mm spacing.