removing rear sprockets

I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.
Or ought I be able to just use a pin spanner to engage the 2 holes in
the ring that retains the 6 sprockets?.
Thanks,Hartly

>I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
> Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
>hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.

Depends on the model. Do you have a cassette or a freewheel?

C wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
> > Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
> >hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.

> Depends on the model. Do you have a cassette or a freewheel?

OP has a six speed freewheel. It will be fun to watch when he takes the
pinspanner approach

(cue : search the parktool or sheldonbrown website)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

If you use a pin spanner you will spill small ball bearings everywhere.

You need a freewheel removal tool to fit the splines.

Use a QR (or lock nut) to hold it in place while undoing.

Either hold the tool in a vice (if you are American use a vise instead)
and totate the wheel OR (I find this prefereable) rest the wheel (with
tyre) on the ground against a wall corner, use a long lever to undo,
bracing the wheel against the wall. Do this at a corner so your hands
go past the wall so you don't remove your knuckes when the freewheel
gives.

On 30 Nov 2005 09:34:10 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I cannot remove shimano rear sprockets to replace a wheel spoke.
> Must I use a special tool to engage the grooves inside the sprokets'
>hub to get goog purcahse and use a long lever arrm?.

Yes. Get the tool and use a 12" adjustable on it.

> Or ought I be able to just use a pin spanner to engage the 2 holes in
>the ring that retains the 6 sprockets?.

Don't, whatever you do, do this, unless you have a big vise-grip that
allows you to get the destroyed remains of the freewheel off and the money
to buy a new freewheel.

Jasper