Removing single pice crank

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    How do you remove a single piece crank from the frame??? It doesnt seem to want o come out, its on
    a BMX bike.

    Tags:

  2. TJ Poseno wrote:
    > How do you remove a single piece crank from the frame??? It doesnt seem to want o come out, its on
    > a BMX bike.

    Remove the left pedal by turning it clockwise (it's a left hand thread.)

    On the left side of the bottom bracket, you'll see a big locknut, probably takes a 32 m wrench or
    so. That's also a left thread, turn it clockwise to remove it.

    Next comes a non-rotating washer, just lift it off.

    The you can unscrew the left side bearing cone, still left thread. These usually have two slots in
    their faces, and a flat-blade screwdriver is generally all that is necessary.

    Once you have removed the left cone, lift out the bearing retainer, and you'll be able to snake the
    whole crank out of the right side.

    If you need to remove the right cone from the crank for some reason, it's a normal right
    hand thread.

    Sheldon "OPC" Brown +------------------------------------------+
    | The generation of random numbers is | too important to be left to chance. | -- Robert R. Coveyou
    | | Oak Ridge National Laboratory |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I have removed everything from the crank, but, the retainer which is pressed into the frame, doesnt
    budge. I think you are talkign about the retainer that the bearings sit in, thats attached to the
    frame, I have doused it in pentrating oil and taped on the back of them with a screwdriver and
    hammer. TAPPED not banged, and they didnt move or show any signs of moving. Guess ill just keep
    working on em

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do you remove a single piece crank from the frame??? It doesnt seem to want o come out, its on
    > a BMX bike.

    Remove the locknut on the left side ( reverse threaded) and the spacer under
    it. Now you can unscrew the left side cone ( usually with your fingers but perhaps coaxed with a
    screwdriver in the slots). Remove the left side bearing. Now the crank can wiggle through the
    shell. If it seems difficult, look inside to see where the clearance is best ( sometimes the
    ends of teh seta and down tubes stick into the shell a bit) and wiggle again. It went in like
    that so it will come out!

  5. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How do you remove a single piece crank from the frame??? It doesnt seem to want o come out, its
    > > on a BMX bike.
    >
    > Remove the locknut on the left side ( reverse threaded) and the spacer under
    > it. Now you can unscrew the left side cone ( usually with your fingers but perhaps coaxed with a
    > screwdriver in the slots). Remove the left side bearing. Now the crank can wiggle through
    > the shell. If it seems difficult, look inside to see where the clearance is best ( sometimes
    > the ends of teh seta and down tubes stick into the shell a bit) and wiggle again. It went in
    > like that so it will come out!

    Doesnt seem to want to come out, i suppose im gonna hafta use a smal amount of force, the Crank
    was bent when i got it, i bent it back, but it doesnt look like that had too much to do with it.
    Ill get it.