Removing stickers from your bike.

dvnjhn

Aug 1, 2007
Hey guys.

Just got a new bike and its covered in shop stickers. What is the best way to remove these. Someone suggested WD40 - but I dont want to try it unless I am certain that this will work.

Thanks

I would ntot recommend putting WD-40 on your paint. Use a blow-dryer and warm the area, which will eventually melt the stickers' adhesive and make gooey, then pull off the stickers. After doing this, cool the gooey material left over from the sticker with ice cubes to harden it, and then scrape it off with a fingernail.

If this doesn't work, hit the local auto parts store and pick up some "label remover." It should be located with the detailing products. Goo-Gone should work, but make sure to read the label first to make sure it won't damage the paint.

Ah, thanks. I kind of thought that putting WD40 on the paint would mabey corode it. Will try the hair dryer when it stops raining in Sunny Scotland.

dvnjhn said:
Ah, thanks. I kind of thought that putting WD40 on the paint would mabey corode it. Will try the hair dryer when it stops raining in Sunny Scotland.

No problem.

Also, I don't wanna sound like a preacher, but you shouldn't leave your bike outside in the rain. :)

dvnjhn said:

WD-40 isn't going to hurt your pain. If it did, then manufacturers would also have to worry about the solvents in greases and oils getting on your paint, too. Goo Gone works. Acetone works. A hair dryer works.

Yea I've used WD-40 on some parts before, to loosen, and it will definitely not hurt. You could always just soak them, but they shouldn't be that hard to take off, unless they are old and dried out.

I left my LBS sticker on, cause I go back to them all the time and they are excellent. All others (like warning stickers) are easy to peel off.

alienator said:
WD-40 isn't going to hurt your pain. If it did, then manufacturers would also have to worry about the solvents in greases and oils getting on your paint, too. Goo Gone works. Acetone works. A hair dryer works.

"WD-40 isn't going to hurt your pain." You know, I could chastise you for your misspelling of "paint" with "pain," as you chastised my incorrect usage of "sails," but I won't. I'll simply just bring it to your attention. ;)

As for what to use, I'd use Goo-Gone. It's probably the safest bet, because that will take off the sticky residue and the sticker.

gman0482 said:
Yea I've used WD-40 on some parts before, to loosen, and it will definitely not hurt. You could always just soak them, but they shouldn't be that hard to take off, unless they are old and dried out.

I left my LBS sticker on, cause I go back to them all the time and they are excellent. All others (like warning stickers) are easy to peel off.

I agree with leaving the LBS sticker on, especially if they do a good job. When they see that, they will be more likely to provide you even better service because you purchased your bike from them.

GT Fanatic said:
No problem.

Also, I don't wanna sound like a preacher, but you shouldn't leave your bike outside in the rain. :)

Believe me in the area I live in if I left the my bike outside the rain would be the last thing I would be worrying about;). Its all good, I usually extensivly clean my mountain bike after every ride and lock it away in my shed. I will defo be trying to keep this up with my road bike. Thanks for the heads up though:D.

dvnjhn said:
Believe me in the area I live in if I left the my bike outside the rain would be the last thing I would be worrying about;). Its all good, I usually extensivly clean my mountain bike after every ride and lock it away in my shed. I will defo be trying to keep this up with my road bike. Thanks for the heads up though:D.

No problem. The only reason I commented on it was because it quickens the progress of rust, plus you just don't want it getting into your brakes and stuff.

Peel them off (heated or not) and then use Eucalyptus oil to remove the remaining glue. Acetone is too volatile to hang around long enough to disolve the glue.

I have always used WD-40 without issue.

3 things everyone needs: WD-40, Windex, and Duct Tape. :cool: