Removing the chain?

There's a tool (don't remember what it's called) made to pop the pins out... get that tool, pop a pin out, then it's pretty straight forward how to get it off.

The tool in question is called a chain tool aka chain breaker. The trick comes when it is time to put the chain back on. Some chains require a special pin to connect it together again. There are also a variety of quick links that can be used that eliminate the need of a chain tool.

kdelong said:
The tool in question is called a chain tool aka chain breaker. The trick comes when it is time to put the chain back on. Some chains require a special pin to connect it together again. There are also a variety of quick links that can be used that eliminate the need of a chain tool.
+1 on the quick link. I use them on all my bikes nowdays. Aside from making it easy to take the chain off and clean it, you don't have to deal with the possibility that the special pin wasn't put in right.

Use a sledge hammer and a nail punch :p

I actually did this one night when I was a teenager, desperate to get the chain off a frame, and it was much harder than I thought it would be. I had the frame and chain lying on a block of wood, smashing the **** out of it for ages before the outer plates came off the pin :D

But yeah, get a chain breaker

What brand of chain is it, and how many gears are on the back wheel?

531Aussie said:
Use a sledge hammer and a nail punch :p

I actually did this one night when I was a teenager, desperate to get the chain off a frame, and it was much harder than I thought it would be. I had the frame and chain lying on a block of wood, smashing the **** out of it for ages before the outer plates came off the pin :D

But yeah, get a chain breaker

What brand of chain is it, and how many gears are on the back wheel?
It is the one that came on my old takara bike which is around 25 years old...5 gears on back...2 in the front...there is no quick link or masterlink

RedRider2009 said:
It is the one that came on my old takara bike which is around 25 years old...5 gears on back...2 in the front..
in that case, as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with older, wider chains re-using the pins, i think this is because the outer plates are thicker and stronger

We did it all the time back in the old days :p

If your chain is worn out, I've found bolt cutters to be particularly effective.

RedRider2009 said:
It is the one that came on my old takara bike which is around 25 years old...5 gears on back...2 in the front...there is no quick link or masterlink
oh yeah, I forgot to say: do you think 25 years is time for a new chain, considering some people go through chains in a few months? :)