Removing threadless headset bungs

cmcdonnell

Jun 22, 2004
Hi, I have a fork with a carbon steerer and an FSA integrated headset with a bung. The problem is I want to lower my stem but can't get the bung out. It seems to have 2 pieces of metal (I guess it is an expander bolt and certaninly not a star-fangled washer) that expand out but I can't losten them. If I undo the main bolt it just comes all the way out with the top cap leaving the bolt in place. I have tried tapping the centre with a hammer but as it is a carbon steerer I have not really hit it hard for fear of damaging it.

Thanks for any help

Chris

cmcdonnell said:
Hi, I have a fork with a carbon steerer and an FSA integrated headset with a bung. The problem is I want to lower my stem but can't get the bung out. It seems to have 2 pieces of metal (I guess it is an expander bolt and certaninly not a star-fangled washer) that expand out but I can't losten them. If I undo the main bolt it just comes all the way out with the top cap leaving the bolt in place. I have tried tapping the centre with a hammer but as it is a carbon steerer I have not really hit it hard for fear of damaging it.

Thanks for any help

Chris

The wrench sizes might not be correct, but you should use a 6mm wrench to tighten the cap down on the stem and adjust the headset, but a 5mm wrench should fit down in there and be used to loosen another bolt in that piece (I forget the name off the top of my head). So just stick a 5mm wrench down in there and loosen that bolt - the whole assembly should slide out easily.