removing Time ATAC pedal springs

strong_cyclist_

Mar 7, 2005
Does anyone here know how to replace the springs in time ATAC pedals? also , how do you remove seized titanium pedals from aluminum cranks? thanks in advance

strong_cyclist_ said:
Does anyone here know how to replace the springs in time ATAC pedals? also , how do you remove seized titanium pedals from aluminum cranks? thanks in advance
Time makes a rebuild kit for their ATAC pedals (at least they did). I rebuilt a pair of ATACs befor the new model came out with the new platform. The kit includes a tool which threads into the pins holding the springs. You then need to pull the pin out - I believed I used a vise to hold the tool and pulled the pedal, or I used a hammer to knock it out. I used to manage a bike shop and found the rebuild kit through Quality Bicycle Products. As far as removing your seized pedals use a good fitting allen key with a long end for leverage (ATACs do not have a fitting for a pedal wrench). Remember the left pedal is reverse threaded (just put the wrench on either pedal and pedal forward while holding the wrench in place to remove, pedal backwards to install). Also use some anti-seize when reinstalling.

Opps had it backwards

"Left and right pedals have left and right threads respectively, and are best removed with a long handled 15mm pedal wrench. Rather than using any clever wrench orientation or other methods to determine which way to tighten or loosen pedals, use the rule that rotating "forward" (as the wheels of the bicycle do) tightens and rotating "backward" loosens."
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-pedals.html

I also tried a search for ATAC rebuild kit, but that turned up nothing. Maybe with more investigation you could find something.