Removing wheels with Campy brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tayvens, Mar 5, 2005.

1. tayvens

tayvens New Member

My old bike had no-name brakes with a quick release do-dad which made it easy to get the wheel with a fully inflated tyer past the brake pads. My new bike has Campy Chorus brakes which as far as I can see do not have a quick release do-dad. I have tried using the brake tension adjuster (or whatever it is called) to increase the distance between he pads. I could get the front wheel off no probs but I had to deflate the rear tyer to get the rear wheel off (23C tyers BTW). I feel like I am missing something obvious. Any suggestions :confused:

Tags:

2. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

If your brake levers are Campy ergo levers, they have a little nubbin on them that you push, which allows the lever to open up a bit more than usual, opening the brake and hopefully allowing you to get the fully inflated wheel off. It's at the top of the lever, a little knob thing, you push it sideways and it pops out the other side of the lever. Hard to explain but take a look at the levers and you should get it no problem.

On the other hand, if you're using Shimano levers with Campy brakes, you're out of luck - Shimano puts the quick release on the brake and Campy puts it on the lever.

3. tayvens

tayvens New Member

Brilliant!!!

I have had Campy ergo levers on both my old and new bikes and had wondered what the nubbin was for. Now I know. I wonder whar else I have been missing.

BTW I would not sully my bikes with Shimano levers.