Renovated Bike - update on the Raleigh Royale - and thanks for the advice

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by emma, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. emma

    emma Guest

    I posted a few time a month or so ago when I was looking to renovate my
    Raleigh Royale - thanks to the help I got here its all done and looks
    great. Its made from all secondhand or old stock parts, mostly off ebay
    :)

    See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg

    Specs are

    Frame - Reynolds 531 Mixte c. 1984
    Wheels - Shimano Deore
    Tyres - Bontranger 25 mm
    BB - Shimano Cartridge
    Chainset - Shimano 105 triple
    Front Mech - Shmano 105
    Rear Mech - Shimano XT 9 speed
    Shifters - Dura Ace Bar ends.
    Bars - Nitto Moustache
    Brakes - Weinmann Centrepulls 610/750 (Work fine with the 700 wheels)
    Levers - Dia Compe Non Aero
    Pedals - SKS Touring
    Saddle - Honey Brooks Pro

    Tags:

  2. > See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg

    Lovely bike, but (and I don't want this to detract from a lovely
    restoration of a lovely bicycle in any way) it's group etiquette to use the
    kitchen as a backdrop so we can criticise the hideous tiling on the walls.

  3. Mike Jones

    Mike Jones Guest

    emma wrote:
    > I posted a few time a month or so ago when I was looking to renovate
    > my Raleigh Royale - thanks to the help I got here its all done and
    > looks great. Its made from all secondhand or old stock parts, mostly
    > off ebay :)
    >
    > See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg
    >
    > Specs are
    >
    > Frame - Reynolds 531 Mixte c. 1984
    > Wheels - Shimano Deore
    > Tyres - Bontranger 25 mm
    > BB - Shimano Cartridge
    > Chainset - Shimano 105 triple
    > Front Mech - Shmano 105
    > Rear Mech - Shimano XT 9 speed
    > Shifters - Dura Ace Bar ends.
    > Bars - Nitto Moustache
    > Brakes - Weinmann Centrepulls 610/750 (Work fine with the 700 wheels)
    > Levers - Dia Compe Non Aero
    > Pedals - SKS Touring
    > Saddle - Honey Brooks Pro

    Nice, but you've forgotten the mudguards!

    Can I ask much it cost you, as I have a frame that's not done anything for a
    few years.

  4. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On 8 Jul 2005 05:51:55 -0700, "emma" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I posted a few time a month or so ago when I was looking to renovate my
    >Raleigh Royale - thanks to the help I got here its all done and looks
    >great. Its made from all secondhand or old stock parts, mostly off ebay
    >:)
    >
    >See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg

    Oh yes, that's very handsome. Nice job, and thanks for giving us the
    update.

    "Bob"
    --

    "I will refuse to register for an ID card and will donate £10
    to a legal defence fund but only if 10,000 other people will

    Join the Pledge !!

    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

    http://www.pledgebank.com/faq

  5. emma

    emma Guest

    The respray was £70, but I had the frame cold set for the new hubs and
    replacement channels for the gear cables on the BB added taking the
    cost up a bit. Altogether the bike cost me about £400, give or take a
    tenner.

    I am still thinking about mudguards, but the the esge type ones
    (possibly rubbish copies) on what is now the hack bike are horrid and
    need perpetual adjustment which is putting me off..

  6. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On 8 Jul 2005 07:10:19 -0700, "emma" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am still thinking about mudguards, but the the esge type ones
    >(possibly rubbish copies) on what is now the hack bike are horrid and
    >need perpetual adjustment which is putting me off..

    If they are horrid and need constant attention then they will be crap
    copies.

    SKS mudguards (the current incarnation of the ESGE type) are
    excellent. They are good quality, look smart, and once fitted properly
    will not need ongoing adjustment.

    Good mudguards will make a big difference to the amount of road crap
    that makes it onto your nice shiny "new" bike, and particularly save
    the drivetrain from constant spray from the front wheel.

    SKS guards are only about 20 quid a set, and are well worth the money.

    "Bob"
    --

    "I will refuse to register for an ID card and will donate £10
    to a legal defence fund but only if 10,000 other people will
    also make this same pledge." Phil Booth, NO2ID

    Join the Pledge !!

    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

    http://www.pledgebank.com/faq

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:

    > SKS guards are only about 20 quid a set, and are well worth the money.

    Wot 'e says.

    If you have a mudflap on the front one (small extra cost) that reduces
    the cack levels even more, so cleaner trousers and cleaner transmission.
    If you have a mudflap on the back it's a lot nicer for anyone riding
    behind you on a wet road, which can make tours with pals a bit more
    sociable.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > If you have a mudflap on the front one (small extra cost) that reduces
    > the cack levels even more, so cleaner trousers and cleaner transmission.
    > If you have a mudflap on the back it's a lot nicer for anyone riding
    > behind you on a wet road, which can make tours with pals a bit more
    > sociable.

    On the other hand... If you already have a hack bike and will ride the
    shiny thing only when the sun is out to make it shine, leaving the
    mudguards off makes for a cleaner looking bike.

    I glanced at the Giant from behind the other day and realised that it is
    quite literally a razor with handlebars and pedals.

    Jon

  9. Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg

    > Lovely bike, but (and I don't want this to detract from a lovely
    > restoration of a lovely bicycle in any way) it's group etiquette to
    > use the kitchen as a backdrop so we can criticise the hideous tiling
    > on the walls.

    I thought Not Responding had nice tiling, myself.

    --
    Ambrose

  10. Jon Senior wrote:
    > Peter Clinch wrote:
    >> If you have a mudflap on the front one (small extra cost) that
    >> reduces the cack levels even more, so cleaner trousers and cleaner
    >> transmission. If you have a mudflap on the back it's a lot nicer for
    >> anyone riding behind you on a wet road, which can make tours with
    >> pals a bit more sociable.

    > On the other hand... If you already have a hack bike and will ride the
    > shiny thing only when the sun is out to make it shine, leaving the
    > mudguards off makes for a cleaner looking bike.

    I think a mixte frame looks better with them. After all, it's not a stripped
    down racer style.

    > I glanced at the Giant from behind the other day and realised that it
    > is quite literally a razor with handlebars and pedals.

    Spot the bentist propaganda. I suggest a saddle would remove all your
    comfort problems and enable you to give Hooves of Destiny to a worthy cause,
    c/o Ambrose Nankivell, ...

    --
    Ambrose

  11. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Spot the bentist propaganda. I suggest a saddle would remove all your
    > comfort problems and enable you to give Hooves of Destiny to a worthy
    > cause, c/o Ambrose Nankivell, ...

    All this razor blade saddle stuff never worked for me - I've still got a
    hairy arse.

    (I suppose I could use immac-impregnated cycling shorts. Mmm, what a deeply
    horrible idea...)

    cheers,
    clive

  12. emma wrote:

    > I posted a few time a month or so ago when I was looking to renovate my
    > Raleigh Royale - thanks to the help I got here its all done and looks
    > great. Its made from all secondhand or old stock parts, mostly off ebay
    > :)

    Nice - er...the resprayers nicked your top tube ;-)

  13. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:39:00 +0000 (UTC), "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Spot the bentist propaganda. I suggest a saddle would remove all your
    >comfort problems and enable you to give Hooves of Destiny to a worthy cause,
    >c/o Ambrose Nankivell, ...

    Hooves of Destiny? Whassat, then? Sounds like something from Babe :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Peewiglet wrote:
    > Hooves of Destiny? Whassat, then? Sounds like something from Babe :)

    www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk Follow the top link to see it in (nearly) it's
    current form.

    Jon

  15. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > I think a mixte frame looks better with them. After all, it's not a
    > stripped down racer style.

    You might be right. I'd suggest black glossy ones though. None of those
    funny silver stripy things!

    > Spot the bentist propaganda. I suggest a saddle would remove all your
    > comfort problems and enable you to give Hooves of Destiny to a worthy
    > cause, c/o Ambrose Nankivell, ...

    Bizarrely enough it's not that uncomfortable to ride. I have merrily
    covered 160km in a day on it without suffering too greatly, but it has
    benefited from around two years of tweaking.

    On a serious note. If there are any wannabe homebuilders out there who
    fancy a head start, Hooves 1 (Frame only) is up for grabs. No cost to
    whoever wants it.

    For obvious reasons, this would be at own risk and I accept no
    responsibility whatsoever for anything. I would recommend that any
    potential purchaser has the capacity for metalwork on some scale as the
    bottom bracket mount could do with a rebuild to make it sit straight.

    Jon

  16. Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    >
    >>> See http://www.iknowthe.net/bikeblog/images/bikeside.jpg

    >> Lovely bike, but (and I don't want this to detract from a lovely
    >> restoration of a lovely bicycle in any way) it's group etiquette to
    >> use the kitchen as a backdrop so we can criticise the hideous tiling
    >> on the walls.

    > I thought Not Responding had nice tiling, myself.

    So did Mrs Not Responding:)

  17. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:53:40 +0100, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:

    >Peewiglet wrote:
    >> Hooves of Destiny? Whassat, then? Sounds like something from Babe :)

    >www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk Follow the top link to see it in (nearly) it's
    >current form.

    Ahaa - thanks.

    Best wishes,