Renting a bike in San Diego

Buck

Guest
I will be in San Diego in July and would like to find a place to rent a
touring, road or hybrid bike for the week I am to be there. I'd prefer
something near the Gaslamp district.

Does anyone know of a shop with reasonable rates and decent bikes down
there?

Thanks,
Buck

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking
bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world and
how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

The entry for San Diego is " Bike Tours San Diego (509 Fifth Ave. Downtown
619-238-2444). "

See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

George

news:[email protected]...

George Farnsworth wrote:
> For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences

taking
> bikes on planes,

The way the airlines are now, I can't even imagine anyone taking their
bike on a plane. On my way home from Nevada, I was re-routed three
times. My daughter took a picture of me sleeping on the floor in the
Reno airport.

My brother flew a different airline on the same day and he was stuck in
Houston overnight and they lost his luggage.

I did not check any bags...I took everything in a carry on. After
being re-routed three times...I realized it was a smart move.

Flying is not as easy as it was years ago. It keeps getting worse. If
I needed my bike that bad, I would ship it out ahead by Fed Ex.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but airline travel is not
fun anymore. I was patted down by security with each re-route. It's
the closest I have ever come to knowing what it feels like to get
arrested.

My son ships his snowboard out ahead of time when he travels. He won't
take the chance of the airlines losing it.

Maggie

"Buck" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Neil Brooks wrote:
>>
>> http://www.dahon.com/folding-bicycles-us-alpha.htm
>>
>> http://www.bikefriday.com/catalog99.cfm

>As much as I would like to buy a folder, I can pay for the rental out
>of an expense account. I cou;dn't really justify the expense of yet
>another bike that would only see use once or twice a year....
>
>I'd much rather spend my cash on a new tourer!

Agreed. Totally. Just pointing out to Maggie that bicycles don't
*have* to be difficult to take on airplanes....

See you soon :)

Neil
San Diego

Neil Brooks wrote:
> Agreed. Totally. Just pointing out to Maggie that bicycles don't
> *have* to be difficult to take on airplanes....

Lately I have been finding it more difficult to get myself on the
plane, let alone a bicycle. With increased security, it takes forever.
I know we need the security but if you were ever pulled out for the
more extensive search.....which happens when you are re-routed to a
different airline....you know what I mean. I really hate being patted
down by some stange woman while some stange guy is going through my
underwear in my suitcase. I love flying, but I am only happy once I
get through security. And when I know I still have luggage.

Maggie.