Renting a Road Bike in Jerez/Rota

Hopkid

Aug 5, 2003
Another cyclist here hoping to get some riding in while in Spain for work for two weeks. Does anybody know of a shop that will rent a decent road bike in the Jerez/Rota area of Andalucia?

Thanks.

Andy

Hopkid said:
Another cyclist here hoping to get some riding in while in Spain for work for two weeks. Does anybody know of a shop that will rent a decent road bike in the Jerez/Rota area of Andalucia?

Thanks.

Andy
My husband and I cycled Andalucia last year (it was really great! Sevilla-Palma Del Rio-Corboba-Zuheros-Alcala la Real-Granada-Antequerra-Osuna-Carmona). I heard it is pretty difficult to rent in Spain so we took our bikes and I think it was probably a good idea. We didn't even see much in the way of bike shops, much less somewhere you could rent one, though down near the coast which is more geared to tourists may be different. Most of the bikes we saw were being sold in stores that sold mopeds and chainsaws and were pretty much townie bikes for doing your shopping. I see you won't be touring, but it pretty much seemed like cycle touring was a foreigner thing. The local people we saw were either older people using the bikes for genuine transportation or racers who came out on weekends.
Taking the bikes was less painful than it sounds. The airlines didn't charge us extra and the hotel we stayed in on our first and last nights let us store the bike boxes in their storage room (we rented good hard cases). The hardest part was the taxi to and from the airport. The cabs are tiny so we had to take separate cabs, bike in the back seat us up front.
If you like climbs I highly recommend going to Antequerra - you won't be too far I think- and climbing up El Torcal to the (National?) Park up there. The scenery at the top is wild and the climb is fantastic. 14k and something around 2000ft I think. The grade near the top is a lulu plus its a little bit gravely:eek: but fun indeed.

Hello, I'll be headed to Rota for a week of riding soon and wnated to see if you had any advice on where to ride or how to hook up with other cyclists in the area. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

spoke537 said:
Hello, I'll be headed to Rota for a week of riding soon and wnated to see if you had any advice on where to ride or how to hook up with other cyclists in the area. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I didn't get to ride while I was in Rota. However I did come across a bike shop in town. I would suggest getting in touch with them to find out how to meet riders in the area. The shop is called Antonio's and their number is 956-814-644. I want to say that's it's on the east side of Avenida de San Fernando near where the Avenida de los Principes de Espana runs into it. It's just south of the Naval Station main gate.