reopening a hole on a carbon frame

picos

Sep 10, 2006
Dear friends i have a problem.A few days ago the wire of the front dearraileur was cut.I pull it out and tried to pass thru the hole a new one but i couldnt do it.I tried a few times and use soap oil air pressure etc the hole is closed.There is a little pass thru inside the hole and this one is fall inside the tube.There is no way to reach it from the outside.
I was told to use a small drill and try to reopen the hole!!! is it wise?i think that if i use the drill in a wrong way the carbon frame will be hurt and this will probabbly cause a major crack when i ride my bike.Am i wrong?

picos said:
Dear friends i have a problem.A few days ago the wire of the front dearraileur was cut.I pull it out and tried to pass thru the hole a new one but i couldnt do it.I tried a few times and use soap oil air pressure etc the hole is closed.There is a little pass thru inside the hole and this one is fall inside the tube.There is no way to reach it from the outside.
I was told to use a small drill and try to reopen the hole!!! is it wise?i think that if i use the drill in a wrong way the carbon frame will be hurt and this will probabbly cause a major crack when i ride my bike.Am i wrong?
DO NOT DRILL A HOLE in your carbon fibre frame!

Is this a TT frame?

Why does it have internal routing for the front derailleur cable?

Is the passage through the frame actually "clogged"?

OR, is it simply a matter of getting the end of the derailleur cable to pass through the exit hole?

Thank u i could imagine what can happen if i make a crack on tha frame

no its not a tt frame is a road frame

the holes are completely closed i tried both ways with harder wire wire even with a spoke from a wheel and i couldnt make it

picos said:
the holes are completely closed i tried both ways with harder wire wire even with a spoke from a wheel and i couldnt make it
How far into the frame can you pass the cable in EITHER direction?

Is there only ONE apparent internal obstruction OR does it seem as though the passage is plugged in more than one place?

Who made the frame?

How feasible would it be to route the cable on the outside of the frame?

3-4 MM each side, its a orbea frame i prefer not to by pass the wire i ll try to replace with warranty

picos said:
3-4 MM each side, its a orbea frame i prefer not to by pass the wire i ll try to replace with warranty
Okay, since you were able to pull the derailleur cable through the frame AND because you are encountering the same problem on both ends ...

Is it possible that you are trying to pass a cable through whose end is fraying/expanding as you attempt to push it through like a shoe lace without a tip on the end? ONE loose "strand" is enough to create a problem.

If so, then EITHER silver solder the END of a "new" cable ... that is, silver solder near the end of the cable near where it is still tightly wound (presuming you didn't trim-it-to-length for some reason); and then, cut the loose "end" off ...

OR, get a Campagnolo cable (the ends are 'welded') ... push it through, attach, cut, cap.

I EVEN try with with a spoke from a wheel and nothing happened and also tried with different kind of cables and there is no solution :(

picos said:
I EVEN try with with a spoke from a wheel and nothing happened and also tried with different kind of cables and there is no solution :(
This sounds like a job for your local bike shop. I can't imagine that a hole would close up on you like that.

anyway Orbea changed tha frame with a new one Onix 2009 the other one was a 2007 frame.

Thank you Orbea :)

picos said:
anyway Orbea changed tha frame with a new one Onix 2009 the other one was a 2007 frame.

Thank you Orbea :)
SWEET ...

Kudos to both your bike shop & to Orbea!

alfeng said:
Kudos to both your bike shop & to Orbea!
Hmm, I don't know... I doubt that Orbea is swapping out frames out of the goodness of their hearts. It looks like Orbea knows that, with this particular frame, you can get into a situation where you are unable to reinsert the front derailleur cable. That's not good. On the other hand, they owned up to the problem, and that's the right thing to do. Still, I wouldn't exactly look forward to having to replace my frame every time I need to replace the front derailleur cable. Hopefully they have fixed that problem by now.

Some bike companies do a remarkably bad job designing internal cable routing. I think it's the new Cervelo S3 the goes all wonky with Dura Ace 7900 'cuz of the routing (and increased cable friction of the new 7900 brifters). My 595 has tubing running throughout any internal cable runs, so installing new cables is a doddle.

I already changed tha cables 2-3 timew before that situation i think is bad luck....