Repainting a bike frame

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
So I've been considering a little project... to repaint my grey Giant matte black like my mountain
bike. What would I need?

1. Airplane remover
2. Steel wool
3. Paint

Is there a spray-from-a-can automotive-type matte paint available? Or, could I paint the bike with
any old black, then clearcoat with a matte clearcoat (if it even exists?)?

And yes, I've read old posts about painting... put several primer coats, then a couple of color
coats, and then a couple of clear on top. Wait several lifetimes between coats so the paint fully
cures, etc. etc.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> 1. Airplane remover

I hate it when my bike gets covered in airplanes.

In the Los Angeles area, you can bring the frame to a powder coater. They totally strip and powder
coat for ~$75. It is a much more durable finish than paint that is sprayed on and neither baked or
clear coated.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 05:59:43 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So I've been considering a little project... to repaint my grey Giant matte black like my mountain
>bike. What would I need?
>
>1. Airplane remover
>2. Steel wool
>3. Paint
>
>Is there a spray-from-a-can automotive-type matte paint available? Or, could I paint the bike with
>any old black, then clearcoat with a matte clearcoat (if it even exists?)?
>
>And yes, I've read old posts about painting... put several primer coats, then a couple of color
>coats, and then a couple of clear on top. Wait several lifetimes between coats so the paint fully
>cures, etc. etc.

If you want toe paint to look good and be durable get it painted by a powder coating place. If you
want it to look OK do not strip it first. Just sand the whole thing to remove any clearcoat, dirt
and wax. Then concentrate sanding any areas that are rusty. After that just spraypaint the thing. If
you go the whole strip, primer and multi-coat paint it will end up costing more than a powder
coating and still not be as good.

news:[email protected]...

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> If you want toe paint to look good and be durable get it painted by a
powder
> coating place.

Can't they do the whole foot?

Bill "toe painting...airplane remover...this thread is out of control!" S.

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> writes:

>In the Los Angeles area, you can bring the frame to a powder coater. They totally strip and powder
>coat for ~$75. It is a much more durable finish than paint that is sprayed on and neither baked or
>clear coated.

Better yet, get the frame powder-coated, replace that "goofy" brooks saddle, and then consider
upgrading to a triple (is this a good idea ? I don't know.) And finally, do you want to have tubular
tires or clinchers ? That decision can make _all_ the difference !!!

What will you have ?? A Trollcycle !!

- Don Gillies San Diego CA

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In the Los Angeles area, you can bring the frame to a powder coater. They totally strip and powder
> coat for ~$75. It is a much more durable finish than paint that is sprayed on and neither baked or
> clear coated.

Many towns have powder coaters. Look under "Coatings" in the Yellow Pages and then call around- go
with one who has bicycle or motorcycle frame experience.

Here in Portland, I've used Class Act Coatings: 8700 NE Columbia 503-254-6400

Superior work- they do a fair amount of OEM paint jobs.

Jeff

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 05:59:43 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> may have said:

>So I've been considering a little project... to repaint my grey Giant matte black like my mountain
>bike. What would I need?
>
>1. Airplane remover
>2. Steel wool
>3. Paint
>
>Is there a spray-from-a-can automotive-type matte paint available? Or, could I paint the bike with
>any old black, then clearcoat with a matte clearcoat (if it even exists?)?
>
>And yes, I've read old posts about painting... put several primer coats, then a couple of color
>coats, and then a couple of clear on top. Wait several lifetimes between coats so the paint fully
>cures, etc. etc.

My advice: Unless the existing paint is badly scraped and chipped, just wipe all of the surfaces
well with a good solvent to get the contaminants off, sand it where needed, prime the sanded areas,
and paint. (DO NOT apply paint to primer that has been sanded; shoot another coat of primer, and
then paint over *that*.) Stripping to bare metal is seldom advisable; you have little chance of
getting your coats of primer or paint to adhere as well as what's there now, if it's actually
factory-applied paint and not a powder coat. (If it's a powder coat now, all bets are off. I've had
absolutely miserable results with that stuff, and would only recommend it to someone that I disliked
intensely. Others have had better outcomes, but I have to go with what I know on this one, and
that's a long record of excrescent results. In some locales, emission limitations are allegedly so
stringent that powder coat may be the only thing that can be had; don't damage your old paint until
you know what you're up against.)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:24:42 -0400, Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> may have said:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>> 1. Airplane remover
>>I hate it when my bike gets covered in airplanes.
>
>But when it does, you can really FLY down the road.

It's really called Aircraft Remover.

http://www.autobodysource.com/pdf/mar_aprl2003/kln.pdf

I assume that it also removes black helicopters. (Don't you just hate it when those get stuck in
your spokes?)

Sure. Flat black is one of the most common "colors" But even if you can't find it, ANY paint can be
"made" flat simply by covering it with a matte clear coat. And vice versa, matte can be made glossy
with gloss clear coat.

BTW, what is "airplane remover", and why would you need it for a bicycle?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/aircraft.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:11:52 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") may
have said:

>BTW, what is "airplane remover", and why would you need it for a bicycle?

Real answer: a brand of paint stripper made by Kleen-Strip, commonly sold at auto parts stores and
hardware stores.

Slightly less real answer: the subject of quite a few silly jokes and one-liners in the places where
it is sold. (I had a part-timer at an Autozone near a small general aviation strip a few years back,
and we used to joke about that product as being essential for getting the debris of the student
pilots' first landing attempts off your roof.)

Unreal answer: what David Copperfield uses to make a 747 disappear off of a runway.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:05:15 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> may have said:

>http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/aircraft.jpg

A must-have for people who live in the vicinity of general aviation facilities. (Also removes those
pesky hot-air balloons that get stuck to the roof of your toolshed.)

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So I've been considering a little project... to repaint my grey Giant
matte
> black like my mountain bike. What would I need?
>
> 1. Airplane remover

After the airplanes have begun to dissolve, use a curved putty knife (or a banana) to scrape all
airplanes from the frame. Be sure to scrape off any small bits - such as wing tanks or landing gear
- that may cling to the frame. DO NOT try to dump partially dissolved airplanes down the sewer!
Call your local EPA office to find out where to safely dispose of partially dissolved airplanes in
your area.

HTH

Barry

[...]

Powder Coat.

hmm. I just bought a bike that's been powder coated, and the paints been chipping off like mad--as if its not sticking. Werehatrack, is there a way to get it repainted properly without the chipping?