repair DA STI right lever?

Andre

Guest
Anyone successfully followed shimano service instructions for the DA right STI lever? I can go up
the block (larger cogs), but the small lever actuation sticks when going down. Thanks.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone successfully followed shimano service instructions for the DA right STI lever? I can go up
> the block (larger cogs), but the small lever actuation sticks when going down. Thanks.

Assuming that it's not a cable problem (not a bad idea to replace the cable first)...

I recently fixed an Ultegra 600 shifter with the same problem. In essence, the mechanism has become
fouled with grease/dirt, etc.

I put the bike in my workstand and tipped it so the levers were pointing more or less at the floor.
Then, I released the rear brake cable so that I could open the shifter all the way. Then I pried up
the plastic disk that seals the back of the actual shift mechanism and pumped a large amount of WD40
through the shifter (tilting the bike limits damage to your bar tape). You want to use a LOT of WD40
for the flush; I went through between 1/2 and 1 cup. It's not a bad idea to put a bucket under the
shifter so you can catch the overflow.

Flush that sucker good, then work the shifter, keeping tension on the cable. For the bike I was
working on, this cleared the problem right up. Then squirt some light lube (TriFlow or ProLink) into
the mechanism, and all should be right with the world.

agcharl-<< Anyone successfully followed shimano service instructions for the DA right STI lever? I
can go up the block (larger cogs), but the small lever actuation sticks when going down. >><BR><BR>

There are no 'service instructions;' from shimano to repair these and no small parts are offered.

You can take the blade off and some of the outside stuff but repairt is not really possible,

Try the 'STI repair kit' WD-40 flush...