Repair Esge Fender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Stone

The brackets inside the fenders that the fender struts bolt to, have separated from the fender. They
seem to have pulled over their rivets; the rivets didn't pull through the fender and the fender
still looks sound around the rivet heads.

Any suggestions for reattaching them? I'm concerned about bolt ends possibly snagging the tire
tread, and in any case I don't want to decrease the clearance inside, and it would be nice to
make it more robust while I'm at it. It would seem a waste to buy a new set of fenders for one
broken bracket.

TIA,

-jeff- in Acton, MA ** To reply by e-mail: X is not part of my address.

"Jeff Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The brackets inside the fenders that the fender struts bolt to, have separated from the fender.
> They seem to have pulled over their rivets; the rivets didn't pull through the fender and the
> fender still looks sound around the rivet heads.
>
> Any suggestions for reattaching them? I'm concerned about bolt ends possibly snagging the tire
> tread, and in any case I don't want to decrease the clearance inside, and it would be nice to make
> it more robust while I'm at it. It would seem a waste to buy a new set of fenders for one broken
> bracket.

A common failure. Shoot a couple of pop-rivets from the inside ( so the bulky ends face out).
Another nice fastener for that job is a "Chicago Screw Rivet" available at leatherworking shops.
Those also fit nearly flush. My own have screws facing out and the nuts on the outside

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

>Another nice fastener for that job is a "Chicago Screw Rivet" available at leatherworking shops.

Could you describe these? I have some nuts that look just like an installed pop rivet, made of
chrome plated brass and take a 8-32 machine screw. Grabbed a handful at a salvage store. Hadn't seen
any before and since. First time I found a use for them was indeed attaching stays to fenders!

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

> >Another nice fastener for that job is a "Chicago Screw Rivet" available at leatherworking shops.

"Pete Geurds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Could you describe these? I have some nuts that look just like an installed pop rivet, made of
chrome
> plated brass and take a 8-32 machine screw. Grabbed a handful at a salvage store. Hadn't seen any
> before and since. First time I found a use for them was indeed attaching stays to fenders!
>

Sounds like that. They are indeed 8-32 ( at least the ones we get) and have a large (10mm) head.
Available in brass, aluminum and plated steel. Nice product for mudguards and for leather work. I
would never have seen them except there's a leather shop next door.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.