Repair goretex jacket

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi,

    I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    coming off.

    What's the best way of repairing this?

    Cheers.

    Tags:

  2. Toby Jug

    Toby Jug Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    > coming off.
    >
    > What's the best way of repairing this?

    You could try a friendly call to Berghaus.

    My mate did just that and they reproofed his goretex jacket and repaired it free. Sent him a pre-
    paid bag to post it in and returned it with two cans of spray too.

    How's that ?

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    toby jug <[email protected]> wrote
    >"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    >> coming off.
    >>
    >> What's the best way of repairing this?
    >
    >You could try a friendly call to Berghaus.
    >
    >My mate did just that and they reproofed his goretex jacket and repaired it free. Sent him a pre-
    >paid bag to post it in and returned it with two cans of spray too.
    >
    >How's that ?

    Not bad! I have recently bought a Berghaus Gortex jacket after ripping my 9 year old Abris Sympatex
    on a b***** fence which pierced it in three places. :-(

    Very impressed with it so far, but christened it by en-muddening the whole of one sleeve when I
    slipped on a muddy bank......

    Less than a week old and I had to wash it.
    --
    Gordon

  4. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "toby jug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    > > coming off.
    > >
    > > What's the best way of repairing this?
    >
    > You could try a friendly call to Berghaus.
    >
    > My mate did just that and they reproofed his goretex jacket and repaired
    it
    > free. Sent him a pre-paid bag to post it in and returned it with two cans of
    spray
    > too.
    >
    > How's that ?

    Not bad! But I think they might have qualms about mending a jacket that's
    10/15 years old though for free;-)
    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks. http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

  5. Aushiker

    Aushiker Guest

  6. Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Mark <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    >coming off.
    >
    >What's the best way of repairing this?
    >
    >Cheers.

    Try Clothescare:

    http://www.shoecare.co.uk/start_uk.htm

    They've reproofed Goretex for me a few times, never tried them for repairs though.
    --
    Neil Pugh

  7. "Mark" wrote:

    > I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    > coming off.
    >
    > What's the best way of repairing this?

    Mark,

    I have a Berghaus Tornado IA of a similar vintage [now used as my 'standby jacket' :)]. I recently
    washed it with Tecwash and reproofed it with some wash-in Goretex reproofer (the name of the product
    escapes me) in my washing machine. The jacket came up really well after this little bit of TLC.

    Once the jacket had been washed and reproofed I had the same problem as you with the seams. I found
    that Bostick All Purpose adhesive worked well to re-stick them into place. It appears to have stuck
    the seams and hasn't marked or penetrated to the outside of the jacket.

    HTH

    Steve Mc

    --
    ------
    Steve McNamara

    Remove Spamtrap to Reply

  8. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

  9. Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Adrian
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Neil Pugh <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> Try Clothescare:
    >>
    >> http://www.shoecare.co.uk/start_uk.htm
    >>
    >> They've reproofed Goretex for me a few times, never tried them for repairs though.
    >
    >This appears to be the same address, facilities and prices but not the same name as Lancashire
    >Sports Repairs.
    >
    >http://www.lsr.gb.com/home.htm
    >

    >Any idea why they're so confused about their identity ?
    >
    >-adrian

    On the piece of paper I've got in front of me they're also calling themselves Clothescare,
    Equipcare, Shoecare and SPH Customer Services Division.
    --
    Neil Pugh

  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:26:50 -0000, "Steve McNamara"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mark" wrote:
    >
    >> I have an old (10-15 years) Berghaus goretex jacket and the tape on the rear of the seams is
    >> coming off.
    >>
    >> What's the best way of repairing this?
    >
    >Mark,
    >
    >I have a Berghaus Tornado IA of a similar vintage [now used as my 'standby jacket' :)]. I
    >recently washed it with Tecwash and reproofed it with some wash-in Goretex reproofer (the name of
    >the product escapes me) in my washing machine. The jacket came up really well after this little
    >bit of TLC.
    >
    >Once the jacket had been washed and reproofed I had the same problem as you with the seams. I found
    >that Bostick All Purpose adhesive worked well to re-stick them into place. It appears to have stuck
    >the seams and hasn't marked or penetrated to the outside of the jacket.

    Thanks. I'll probably try something like this. I phoned Berghaus and they said it's not covered by
    the warranty. They recommend sending it to another company for repair but this sounds expensive.

    Cheers,