repair or replace?

Geoff Pearson

Guest
My 1999 Specialized Hard Rock A1 Comp needs a new bottom bracket and chain
rings. I can't shift the crank bolts so it will have to go to the LBS
(Edinburgh Bike Coop). I guess it will cost £100 or thereby. I'm always
replacing bits as they wear out and it is only these bolts that stop me
replacing the bits myself this time.

But I am now wondering whether it would be better to put the money towards a
new model at say £400-500 than carry on with something that has done 8 years
good service? For example, I fancy hydraulic disk brakes - just 'cos I
fancy them.

What would people advise?

In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson
[email protected] says...
> My 1999 Specialized Hard Rock A1 Comp needs a new bottom bracket and chain
> rings. I can't shift the crank bolts so it will have to go to the LBS
> (Edinburgh Bike Coop).

You can get Park tool CCW5C for under a tenner. Parker has them for
£7.95 ATM.

> I guess it will cost £100 or thereby. I'm always
> replacing bits as they wear out and it is only these bolts that stop me
> replacing the bits myself this time.
>
> But I am now wondering whether it would be better to put the money towards a
> new model at say £400-500 than carry on with something that has done 8 years
> good service? For example, I fancy hydraulic disk brakes - just 'cos I
> fancy them.
>
> What would people advise?

If you really want a new bike you shouldn't have to look for excuses -
it's a natural urge and nothing to be ashamed of. :)

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson
[email protected] says...
> My 1999 Specialized Hard Rock A1 Comp needs a new bottom bracket and chain
> rings. I can't shift the crank bolts so it will have to go to the LBS
> (Edinburgh Bike Coop).

You can get Park tool CCW5C for under a tenner. Parker has them for
£7.95 ATM.

> I guess it will cost £100 or thereby. I'm always
> replacing bits as they wear out and it is only these bolts that stop me
> replacing the bits myself this time.
>
> But I am now wondering whether it would be better to put the money towards
> new model at say £400-500 than carry on with something that has done 8
> years
> good service? For example, I fancy hydraulic disk brakes - just 'cos I
> fancy them.
>
> What would people advise?

If you really want a new bike you shouldn't have to look for excuses -
it's a natural urge and nothing to be ashamed of. :)

I've got all the tools and I've done the job before - this time I just can't
shift the bolt and the corners of the head are getting rounded.

In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson
[email protected] says...

> I've got all the tools and I've done the job before - this time I just can't
> shift the bolt and the corners of the head are getting rounded.

If you've already tried an impact driver you could maybe try an air
wrench at your local friendly garage/KwikFit, or drill it out.

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson
> [email protected] says...
>> My 1999 Specialized Hard Rock A1 Comp needs a new bottom bracket and
>> chain rings. I can't shift the crank bolts so it will have to go to
>> the LBS (Edinburgh Bike Coop).

> I've got all the tools and I've done the job before - this time I
> just can't shift the bolt and the corners of the head are getting
> rounded.

Try 6-sided socket rather than the usual 12-sided socket which might be less
inclined to round the heads. A local garage mechanic might oblige with loan
of a quality socket. Undo with gentle pressure on a big lever (I have a
3-foot bit of pole which is my extension bar).

If that doesn't work, then drilling the bolts is necessary which will
probably damage the bottom bracket at the same time.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

In article <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
[email protected]lid says...

> If that doesn't work, then drilling the bolts is necessary which will
> probably damage the bottom bracket at the same time.

He's replacing the bottom bracket anyway.