Repair Stand Advise?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Fellow 'benters,

    What repair stand, if any, do you use? I have a Canto and the Performance stand I use for my upright does not work.

    I'd like to avoid dropping a C-note on a repair stand, but I may not have a choice.

    If you don't use a stand, how do you adjust your shifters, etc.

    Always willing to learn from my 'bent colleagues,
    Ben

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Fellow 'benters,
    >
    > What repair stand, if any, do you use? I have a Canto and the Performance stand I use for my
    > upright does not work.
    >
    > I'd like to avoid dropping a C-note on a repair stand, but I may not have a choice.
    >
    > If you don't use a stand, how do you adjust your shifters, etc.
    >
    > Always willing to learn from my 'bent colleagues, Ben

    After many years of not using a stand at all, I 'Dropped a C Note' (and then some) on a Park Home
    Repair Stand http://www.parktool.com/tools/PCS_4.shtml And an Extreme Range Clamp
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/100_5X.shtml

    This has proved the best treat I ever gave myself since I got my first recumbent.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Cletus,

    A recommendation from you means alot. I've been looking at those myself. I suppose I'll have to give myself the same gift.

    Thanks,
    Ben

  4. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Park's stuff is always high quality. But I wish they'd make a cheaper alternative to the combination
    of stand Extreme Range Clamp. It's overkill for the recumbent owner. I don't need 'extreme' range,
    just a basic clamp that's somewhat bigger than what I have now.

  5. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    I have a Ultimate Bicycle Support stand that works great for my mountain bike, but not my Giro. The
    clamp works like a bench vise. I was loathe to trade it for a Park stand, so I could plunk down
    another $140 for an extreme range clamp. So... About $3.00 later, I have a very serviceable adapter.
    Materials are a 11" long 2x4, and two hooks from a hw store. The hooks are U-shaped, with a screw
    centered in them, designed to screw into your shed wall and hold a shovel. I cut the 2x4 into an
    elongated U shape by taking 5" out of the center of 1 long edge, half as deep as the width. This
    accomodates the Baccheta seat clamp, your bent might not require it. The U hooks are mounted along
    that same edge, about 7" apart, centered on the 2x4 length and width. Looks like this:

    __|__ _|__ _U_
    | |___________| |
    | |
    |__________________| | End view

    One bungee around the stad's vertical post, and hooked into the underseat pannier holes stabilizes
    the bike nicely. A length of tire tube,. split along the length and place in the U's prior to
    placing the bike protects the finish and adds grip to eliminate the bike from rolling to either
    side. With a little geometry applied, the same jig could work in a Park stand, and handle various
    monotube bikes. If you'd like to see pics, email me directly. Or, I will make you one for $59. You
    can then buy a UBS stand, and still be ahead of the game over buying the park stand and the extreme
    range clamp.

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Fellow 'benters,
    > >
    > > What repair stand, if any, do you use? I have a Canto and the Performance stand I use for my
    > > upright does not work.
    > >
    > > I'd like to avoid dropping a C-note on a repair stand, but I may not have a choice.
    > >
    > > If you don't use a stand, how do you adjust your shifters, etc.
    > >
    > > Always willing to learn from my 'bent colleagues, Ben
    > >

    > After many years of not using a stand at all, I 'Dropped a C Note' (and
    then some) on a Park
    > Home Repair Stand http://www.parktool.com/tools/PCS_4.shtml And an Extreme Range Clamp
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/100_5X.shtml
    >
    > This has proved the best treat I ever gave myself since I got my first
    recumbent.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    OOPS, my "graphic" got mangled

    __|__ side view _|__ _U_
    | |___________| | | |
    | | | |
    |__________________ | | | End view

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Ultimate Bicycle Support stand that works great for my mountain bike, but not my Giro.
    > The clamp works like a bench vise. I was loathe
    > trade it for a Park stand, so I could plunk down another $140 for an
    extreme
    > range clamp. So... About $3.00 later, I have a very serviceable adapter. Materials are a
    11"
    > long 2x4, and two hooks from a hw store. The hooks are U-shaped, with a screw centered in them,
    > designed to screw into your shed wall and hold a shovel. I cut the 2x4 into an elongated U shape
    > by taking 5" out of the center of 1 long edge, half as deep as the width. This accomodates the
    > Baccheta seat clamp, your bent might not require it. The U hooks are mounted along that same edge,
    > about 7" apart, centered on the 2x4 length
    and
    > width. Looks like this:
    >
    > __|__ _|__ _U_
    > | |___________| |
    > | |
    > |__________________|
    |
    > | End view
    >
    > One bungee around the stad's vertical post, and hooked into the underseat pannier holes stabilizes
    > the bike nicely. A length of tire tube,. split along the length and place in the U's prior to
    > placing the bike protects
    the
    > finish and adds grip to eliminate the bike from rolling to either side. With a little geometry
    > applied, the same jig could work in a Park stand,
    and
    > handle various monotube bikes. If you'd like to see pics, email me directly. Or, I will make you
    > one for $59. You can then buy a UBS stand, and still be ahead of the game over buying the park
    > stand and the extreme range clamp.
    >

    > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > > Fellow 'benters,
    > > >
    > > > What repair stand, if any, do you use? I have a Canto and the Performance stand I use for my
    > > > upright does not work.
    > > >
    > > > I'd like to avoid dropping a C-note on a repair stand, but I may not have a choice.
    > > >
    > > > If you don't use a stand, how do you adjust your shifters, etc.
    > > >
    > > > Always willing to learn from my 'bent colleagues, Ben
    > > >

    > > After many years of not using a stand at all, I 'Dropped a C Note' (and
    > then some) on a Park
    > > Home Repair Stand http://www.parktool.com/tools/PCS_4.shtml And an Extreme Range Clamp
    > > http://www.parktool.com/tools/100_5X.shtml
    > >
    > > This has proved the best treat I ever gave myself since I got my first
    > recumbent.
    > > --
    > >
    > > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    > > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    If you have a garage, a couple of ropes hanging from hooks screwed into the rafters make a very
    flexible repair stand that will accomodate just about anything you throw at it.

    --
    Greg Dunn www.BicycleCommuter.com

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Fellow 'benters,
    >
    > What repair stand, if any, do you use? I have a Canto and the Performance stand I use for my
    > upright does not work.
    >
    > I'd like to avoid dropping a C-note on a repair stand, but I may not have a choice.
    >
    > If you don't use a stand, how do you adjust your shifters, etc.
    >
    > Always willing to learn from my 'bent colleagues, Ben

  8. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > If you have a garage, a couple of ropes hanging from hooks screwed into the rafters make a very
    > flexible repair stand that will accomodate just about anything you throw at it.

    I currently use nylon web tie-downs with the buckle thingee so you can tighten them (shorten them).
    I hang them from the overhead bar on my roll-up garage door. Kind of a hassle.

    I am making the PVC repair stand that has been mentioned somewhere, probably this list. If yer
    interested I'll dig up the plans complete with digitized anotated picture. The fella who built it
    used 3/4" pipe, I'm using 1". Prolly either wil work fine. I have some foam pipe insulation that
    I slip over the horizontal arms thatsupport the bike frame in order to provide grip and protect
    the paint.

  9. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Gee, that stand has gotten around. :cool:

    Thank you for the offer of pictures...but I have them because I designed and built the stand:

    http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/PVCWorkStand.htm

    A certain recumbent dealer was taking credit for it for a while, but I wrote him when that came to
    my attention, and he said that a former employee had designed it and claimed it as his own. Said
    dealer then removed the plans from his web site, even though all I asked was that he properly
    acknowledge me as the designer. I was sorry to see him take them down, because he had written up
    some nice construction detail that was a good addition to the original material, and which would be
    helpful to prospective builders of the stand.

    The pipe insulation for the arms sounds like a good enhancement!

    --

    "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If you have a garage, a couple of ropes hanging from hooks screwed into the rafters make a very
    > > flexible repair stand that will accomodate just about anything you throw at it.
    >
    > I currently use nylon web tie-downs with the buckle thingee so you can tighten them (shorten
    > them). I hang them from the overhead bar on my roll-up garage door. Kind of a hassle.
    >
    > I am making the PVC repair stand that has been mentioned somewhere, probably this list. If yer
    > interested I'll dig up the plans complete with digitized anotated picture. The fella who built it
    > used 3/4" pipe, I'm using 1". Prolly either wil work fine. I have some foam pipe insulation that
    > I slip over the horizontal arms thatsupport the bike frame in order to provide grip and protect
    > the paint.

  10. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > Thank you for the offer of pictures...but I have them because I designed and built the stand:

    Thank YOU, Greg! I appreciate you making it available, in whatever form you did. It always helps if
    someone has already built something so others can benefit from the mistakes made the first time.
    Well, I mean, if I had built it the first time, *I* would have made mistakes.