Repair Stand Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark A. Clark, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Sorry thought the 1st one didn't go through.

    Mark A. Clark wrote:
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    I don't really like the clamp on the Ultimate, but otherwise, it works very well.

    Mike

    >Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    >via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    The ultimate is a nice stand. I bought it a while back when it was on sale. I got the truing stand,
    tool box and carry bag all as one package.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

    "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    I would definitely NOT recommend the Park folding stand. I have one and it's not worth the money.
    You can't raise/lower the stand while the bike is clamped in, and it's not very stable - it wants to
    tip over backwards unless it's loaded up with bike. Not a big deal you might think, but the
    slightest nudge when putting the bike in the clamp is enough to tip it backwards. PITA.

    -Patrick

  6. I use one in the field all of the time. They are well-built and rather trouble free. Additionally,
    they are pretty light to carry...

    Bruce

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at
    > >$179.99 via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > The ultimate is a nice stand. I bought it a while back when it was on
    sale. I
    > got the truing stand, tool box and carry bag all as one package.
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I have the Ultimate BRS-70 (not the Pro) and the only I don't like about it is the clamp on the
    telescoping tube - it's hard as hell to tighten. I've e-mailed Ultimate twice to see if they have a
    quick release clamp and they never responded. The Pro may be the same.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Mark A. Clark wrote:
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    I have one. I love it.

    David

  9. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    I had one several years ago that I was quite pleased with. The only downside was that sometimes I've
    have to negotiate my way around the legs. Lickton's has a better price than Colorado Cyclist:

    http://www.lickbike.com/i2637700.htm

  10. "Patrick W." wrote:

    > I would definitely NOT recommend the Park folding stand. I have one and it's not worth the money.
    > You can't raise/lower the stand while the bike is clamped in, and it's not very stable - it wants
    > to tip over backwards unless it's loaded up with bike. Not a big deal you might think, but the
    > slightest nudge when putting the bike in the clamp is enough to tip it backwards. PITA.
    >
    > -Patrick

    If you're talking about the PRS-5, I have the same stand and have no idea what you're talking about.
    I can raise the bike up and down, and my stand has never fallen over backwards. Are you working on a
    45 degree hill? <G> Do you have the legs latched?

    The PRS-5 is nowhere near as stable as a shop stand, but the shop stand won't fold up to a 3 1/2 ft
    x 6" tube.

    Barry

  11. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

    > If you're talking about the PRS-5, I have the same stand and have no idea what you're talking
    > about. I can raise the bike up and down, and my stand has never fallen over backwards. Are you
    > working on a 45 degree hill? <G> Do you have the legs latched?
    >
    > The PRS-5 is nowhere near as stable as a shop stand, but the shop stand won't fold up to a 3 1/2
    > ft x 6" tube.
    >
    > Barry

    Yes, that's the stand I have. It will not raise up & down with a bike in the clamp because the
    weight of the bike cocks the vertical tube and puts pressure on the sleeve - so it won't move unless
    I manhandle it backward a bit. It's a very awkward proposition. Not a show stopper though as I've
    learned to get the height right before I load the bike. And yes, the legs are latched, and I still
    find it wobbly when unloaded.

    How old is yours? Mine is brand new - just bought it around 6 months ago. Maybe you have an older,
    more robust version?

  12. > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    Very nice stand; I use one frequently for ride support. You should be able to get the same price at
    your local bike shop and avoid the shipping, by the way. Ultimate is now selling to local shops for
    a price similar to what the mail-order folk get them for.

  13. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:49:28 GMT, "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    >via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    >Mark
    I guess I go against the other posters here, but if you are talking about the aluminum stand, that
    looks like a converted speaker stand, I think it sucks. I have always used steel stands, currently
    one of the Parks, and found when I tried the ultimate, it never stopped shaking and I preferred the
    Parks clamp.

    It may be fine for race day, being light and portable, but for building up frames and serious
    maintenance, I didn't like it at all.

    I bought one and returned it a couple of days later.

    cu Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink

  14. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at
    > > $179.99 via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    >
    > Very nice stand; I use one frequently for ride support. You should be able to get the same price
    > at your local bike shop and avoid the shipping, by the way. Ultimate is now selling to local shops
    > for a price similar to what the mail-order folk get them for.

    I've been using a Minoura stand, pro model for over a year. It's all aluminum, big diameter tubes
    that telescope and lock with QR levers. Unfolded, it has a large stable base. It is easy to fold and
    does not take much room when folded. The clamp works fine. It came with a small but handy,
    detachable tool table. I got it for $120. I am very happy with it.

    Steve

  15. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    I've used both Park and Ultimate stands, and the Ultimate is much more convenient. Because the Park stand has clamping jaws, I had to take off my seat pack and extend my seat post just to get enough exposed post to put in the jaws. I didn't want to put the top tube in jaws because they clamp too tightly. The Ultimate, on the other hand, lets you contro how much pressure the jaws exert at any given time. So I can clamp my thin-walled top tube in the jaws, confident that it won't get crushed.

  16. Mark A. Clark wrote:
    > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at $179.99
    > via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    That's the one I've got. Like everyone else, I find the clamp a little bit of a pain, but it's
    otherwise excellent.

    Duke

  17. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at
    > > > $179.99 via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Very nice stand; I use one frequently for ride support. You should be able to get the same price
    > > at your local bike shop and avoid the shipping, by the way. Ultimate is now selling to local
    > > shops for a price similar to what the mail-order folk get them for.
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >
    > I've been using a Minoura stand, pro model for over a year. It's all aluminum, big diameter tubes
    > that telescope and lock with QR levers. Unfolded, it has a large stable base. It is easy to fold
    > and does not take much room when folded. The clamp works fine. It came with a small but handy,
    > detachable tool table. I got it for $120. I am very happy with it.
    >
    > Steve

    I have the Minoura consumer stand, the 300, for which I paid about $80. Same tool tray and clamp as
    Steve's Minoura, but the stand isn't really height-adjustable.

    The base is nice and stable, and it's easy to get at all parts of the bike. I was ready to spend
    $150, but the deal looked too good to be true, and the stand has proved to be excellent. I spent the
    remaining money on more tools!

  18. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    > Because the Park stand has clamping jaws, I had to take off my seat pack and extend my seat post
    > just to get enough exposed post to

    >put in the jaws. I didn't want to put the top tube in jaws because they clamp too tightly. The
    >Ultimate, on the other hand, lets you contro how much pressure the jaws exert at any given time. So
    >I can clamp my thin-walled top tube in the jaws, confident that it won't get crush

    Hmmmm, I had a Cinelli non-folding stand for years that worked well, but no height adjustment, and
    the clamp was a screw type. I got a Park PRS-5, and the clamp is adjustable, but yeah you gotta be
    careful, and clamp down light then slack or tighten the long nut. although I think the cheaper units
    have a spring which alters the function.

  19. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    Duke Robillard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mark A. Clark wrote:
    > > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at
    > > $179.99 via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

    Funny this should come up today. Wed night 9 Apr 03, I was in REI & they had both the Park 5 model &
    the Ultimate stand on display. I put the same bike in each to test them. I was surprised how
    unstable the Park was. I've had an Ultimate since '99 & felt it was a little too shaky. But the park
    was worse. It's possible that the newer design Ultimate is better than mine is. But still I was
    disappointed w/ the Park. I've thought until Wed night I might replace it w/ the Park. If you decide
    on the Ultimate, I highly recommend you get the whole kit. The truing stand isn't very good, but
    still it can be used for things like putting on rim tape, etc. The toolbox, the bag are really very
    useful. And in particular the handlebar clamp is the best in the world. (At least I have ever seen)
    I have both the Park & the Var & I never use them. Junk compared to the Ultimate. I don't care what
    type stand one uses; this is hands down the best clamp made. I am amazed that I have never seen it
    mentioned before.

  20. John McGraw