Repair Stand Recommendations?

Duke Robillard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark A. Clark wrote:
> > Looking for a decent home repair stand. The ULTIMATE Professional looks like a good buy at
> > $179.99 via Colorado Cyclist. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

Funny this should come up today. Wed night 9 Apr 03, I was in REI & they had both the Park 5 model &
the Ultimate stand on display. I put the same bike in each to test them. I was surprised how
unstable the Park was. I've had an Ultimate since '99 & felt it was a little too shaky. But the park
was worse. It's possible that the newer design Ultimate is better than mine is. But still I was
disappointed w/ the Park. I've thought until Wed night I might replace it w/ the Park. If you decide
on the Ultimate, I highly recommend you get the whole kit. The truing stand isn't very good, but
still it can be used for things like putting on rim tape, etc. The toolbox, the bag are really very
useful. And in particular the handlebar clamp is the best in the world. (At least I have ever seen)
I have both the Park & the Var & I never use them. Junk compared to the Ultimate. I don't care what
type stand one uses; this is hands down the best clamp made. I am amazed that I have never seen it
mentioned before.

> [...]

unstable the Park was. I've had an Ultimate since '99 & felt it was a little too shaky. But the park
was worse. It's possible that the newer design Ultimate is better than mine is. But still I was
disappointed w/ the Park. I've thought until Wed night I might replace it w/ the Park. If you decide
on the Ultimate, I highly recommend you get the whole kit. The truing stand isn't very good, but
still it can be used for things like putting on rim tape, etc. The toolbox, the bag are really very
useful. And in particular the handlebar clamp is the best in the world. (At least I have ever seen)
I have both the Park & the Var & I never use them. Junk compared to the Ultimate. I don't care what
type stand one uses; this is hands down the best clamp made. I am amazed that I have never seen it

Which Parrks stand. Mine is a PCS-4 and blows the ultimate away in stability. The clamp is completly
adjustable, and once set, doesn't have to be touched.

cu

Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

John McGraw wrote:

> . And in particular the handlebar clamp is the best in the world. (At least I have ever seen) I
> have both the Park & the Var & I never use them. Junk compared to the Ultimate. I don't care
> what type stand one uses; this is hands down the best clamp made. I am amazed that I have never
> seen it mentioned before.

Yeah, that's true, it is a really nic bar clamp. Easy to adjust, easy to put on, easy to take off,
holds very steady.

Duke

Did I cause all these repeats of my post? If so would someone please tell me what I did to cause it.
If I didn't cause it, for the sake of my own curiosity, please tell me what did. Seems like a
terrible waste of space. Curious John

In article <uo%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I have the Ultimate BRS-70 (not the Pro) and the only I don't like about it is the clamp on the
> telescoping tube - it's hard as hell to tighten. I've e-mailed Ultimate twice to see if they have
> a quick release clamp and they never responded. The Pro may be the same.

The Pro does have a quick release clamp on the telescoping tube.

Rick