Repairing a broken chain (peg)

marky2fresh

Apr 17, 2005
Sorry if this is in the wrong area...

I took the peg out of the broken segment of the chain to fix it, but I accidently pushed the whole peg out.

I was wondering if there is a trick to get the peg of the chain back into the link (I even resorted to heating it with a lighter and trying to hammer it in) but soon as I used the link remover to push it back in, it falls out.

Advice?

Replacement chain pins are widely available, check your local bike shop. Some chain manufacturers actually advise that you push the pins out all the way, and replace them when you join the chain back again.

If you're in the habit of needing to take your chain off the bike frequently, SRAM, KMC and Connex/Wippermann make tool-free chain 'connector links'.

rek said:
Replacement chain pins are widely available, check your local bike shop. Some chain manufacturers actually advise that you push the pins out all the way, and replace them when you join the chain back again.

If you're in the habit of needing to take your chain off the bike frequently, SRAM, KMC and Connex/Wippermann make tool-free chain 'connector links'.
What he said.