Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Repairing a scratched rim?

Started by Colin Campbell · · Last activity · 5 posts · 707 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 January 2007
Last activity
2 January 2007
Original author
Colin Campbell
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
707
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I took a spill on December 21. Luckily, I was close to home, and was
    able to ride. However, I noticed that there was a noise when I applied
    the rear brake.

    When I got home and examined the wheel, I didn't see anything wrong.
    But when I checked more closely yesterday, I noticed that I had
    scratched the rim on the braking surface (on the drive side of the rim).
    It isn't a very deep scratch, and it is only about 3/4 inch long.

    I'm wondering whether I might be able to sand the scratch down, so that
    it doesn't tear up the brake pad. Or, could I just use it, and maybe
    have the brake pad smooth out the scratch, at the cost of having to
    replace the pad a couple of time. Or, must I replace the rim?

    What are your opinions / suggestions?

    The bike is a Trek 5200 with Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I replaced the
    Shimano Ultegra components with Campy Record, and Trek traded the
    Shimano hub wheels for Campy compatible ones at no cost.

  2. "Colin Campbell" wrote: (clip)I'm wondering whether I might be able to sand
    the scratch down, so that it doesn't tear up the brake pad. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would use a flat sanding block, so you remove only the raised metal. You
    don't want to create a valley there, or you will probably feel it when
    braking. If it continues to wear the pad on that side excessively, the next
    step would be to fill it with Bondo, Liquid Steel or epoxy.

  3. Colin Campbell said:

    When I got home and examined the wheel, I didn't see anything wrong.
    But when I checked more closely yesterday, I noticed that I had
    scratched the rim on the braking surface (on the drive side of the rim).
    It isn't a very deep scratch, and it is only about 3/4 inch long.

    My solution is to use a needle file to remove any burr on the scratch.
    This offers more control and is quicker than sanding. You don't want to
    remove the scratch completely. Just take off the high spots so the pad
    will slide smoothly on the rim again.

  4. Colin Campbell said:

    I took a spill on December 21. Luckily, I was close to home, and was
    able to ride. However, I noticed that there was a noise when I applied
    the rear brake.

    When I got home and examined the wheel, I didn't see anything wrong. But
    when I checked more closely yesterday, I noticed that I had scratched
    the rim on the braking surface (on the drive side of the rim). It isn't
    a very deep scratch, and it is only about 3/4 inch long.

    I'm wondering whether I might be able to sand the scratch down, so that
    it doesn't tear up the brake pad. Or, could I just use it, and maybe
    have the brake pad smooth out the scratch, at the cost of having to
    replace the pad a couple of time. Or, must I replace the rim?

    as stated by others, remove the high spots only. a file is best since
    you don't want to cut below the machined face of the rim as a general
    abrasive would do. then ride. the rim will wear out through use
    eventually anyway, so replace it then, not now.

    Quoted message said:


    What are your opinions / suggestions?

    The bike is a Trek 5200 with Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I replaced the
    Shimano Ultegra components with Campy Record, and Trek traded the
    Shimano hub wheels for Campy compatible ones at no cost.

  5. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Colin Campbell" wrote: (clip)I'm wondering whether I might be able to sand
    the scratch down, so that it doesn't tear up the brake pad. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would use a flat sanding block, so you remove only the raised metal. You
    don't want to create a valley there, or you will probably feel it when
    braking. If it continues to wear the pad on that side excessively, the next
    step would be to fill it with Bondo, Liquid Steel or epoxy.

    I was advised to use steel wool on a scratch where a sliver of metal had
    gotten fixed into a brake pad of mine. Now I use steel wool sparingly
    for situations like that. I sure would not take down any more metal
    than I had to, whatever I did. There's a lot of construction where I
    have to ride, so getting debris in and on my brake pads is a pretty
    common thing for me.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.