Repairing a SON

Ric

Guest
A while back my bike fell off my boat into the sea. After fishing it out and washing it, everything
initially worked but after another month or so the SON hub dynamo packed up. As I couldn't work out
how to take it to bits I gave up on it and bought a Nexus. But now am wondering whether these things
are repairable? Where to send if it is?

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A while back my bike fell off my boat into the sea. After fishing it out
and
> washing it, everything initially worked but after another month or so the SON hub dynamo packed
> up. As I couldn't work out how to take it to bits I gave up on it and bought a Nexus. But now am
> wondering whether these
things
> are repairable? Where to send if it is?

Take a look at www.kinetics.org.uk (a UK dealer) or http://www.nabendynamo.de/ (the German
manufacturer).
___
Michael MacClancy

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:50:47 +0100, Ric:

>A while back my bike fell off my boat into the sea.

:-( Salt water inside is the worst what can happen to the bearings of your
bike.

>After fishing it out and washing it, everything initially worked but after another month or so the
>SON hub dynamo packed up.

Did you open, clean and relube bottom-bracket and rear hub?

>But now am wondering whether these things are repairable? Where to send if it is?

Just contact the manufacturer: info <at> nabendynamo.de

Andreas - who is doing the repairs there...

"Andreas Oehler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did you open, clean and relube bottom-bracket and rear hub?

Rear hub? My Rohloff just shrugged it off without damage thanks!

> >But now am wondering whether these things are repairable? Where to send if it is?
>
> Just contact the manufacturer: info <at> nabendynamo.de
>
> Andreas - who is doing the repairs there...

Danke - Heute habe ich eine Email geschickt ...

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:46:55 +0100, Ric:

>Rear hub? My Rohloff just shrugged it off without damage thanks!

Are you sure there is no salt water inside? I would recommend to exchange the oil.

Andreas

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:46:55 +0100, "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Danke - Heute habe ich eine Email geschickt ...
>

> Bitte, was ist für Email Englisch?

Fecking showoff. Boku wa wakarimasen deshita.

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A while back my bike fell off my boat into the sea. After fishing it out
and
> washing it, everything initially worked but after another month or so the SON hub dynamo packed
> up. As I couldn't work out how to take it to bits I gave up on it and bought a Nexus. But now am
> wondering whether these
things
> are repairable? Where to send if it is?

Sent email to SON yesterday night - got reply this morning! I wish all companies were so fast. They
charge only E34.80 to repair it which I think is very good. So off it goes after Christmas.

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Sent email to SON yesterday night - got reply this morning! I wish all
> companies were so fast. They charge only E34.80 to repair it which I think is very good.

Out of curiosity, do you send the hub or the whole wheel - or doesn't it matter much ?

Tim

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Wilful misuse of the term "dark side!"

But that's Darth Ben, so I wouldn't challenge him to a lightsabre duel over it... ;-)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:46:55 +0100, "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Andreas Oehler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Did you open, clean and relube bottom-bracket and rear hub?
>
>Rear hub? My Rohloff just shrugged it off without damage thanks!

do i read thi right? does your boat bike have rohloff and son hubs?! i can see why you took the time
to fish it out.

a new season pressie for me is going to be a folder for the boat. i'm a bit miffed 'cause some
measuring i did this summer shows that the hatch to a *huge* and empty locker is not big enough to
take a real bike or even a dahon matrix 26 inch wheel folder.

i can, however, fit my tandem on board. which is how i intend to get to the start of the round the
island [ride] in May.

what do you sail and where? [i would ask on urs but it's a pretty poor newsgroup at the moment].

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

> do i read thi right? does your boat bike have rohloff and son hubs?! i can see why you took the
> time to fish it out.

My commuting bike is similarly equipped, I've yet to try throwing it in the sea tho'. :)

"[Not Responding]" wrote:

> a new season pressie for me is going to be a folder for the boat. i'm a bit miffed 'cause some
> measuring i did this summer shows that the hatch to a *huge* and empty locker is not big enough to
> take a real bike or even a dahon matrix 26 inch wheel folder.

Next size down is the Airnimal

--
Marten

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I have a Brompton as my main "onboard" bike. It is very handy on a sailing boat as I can leap ashore
at quayside with it in one hand, I can also take it ashore in my little dinghy if at anchor etc. I
also have a 26" folding Mercedes bike which is useful for longer rides but it is a bit of an pain to
lug out of the forepeak then assemble etc. Also, the frame has just snapped! I have the Rohloff and
SON on my utility bike which doesn't normally go on the boat as it is huge and has to stay on deck
(my boat is 32ft). It was only briefly on deck when I was moving house and had nowhere else to store
it but it happened to fall in - down to about 25m! I'm considering mounting the SON (when repaired)
and Rohloff on the Mercedes bike.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:19:20 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i can, however, fit my tandem on board. which is how i intend to get to the start of the round the
>island [ride] in May.

Do you mean the IOW ride?

If so there should a contingent from the SE London section of the Tandem Club going. I hope to be
there as part of it.

Tim

"Tim Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Sent email to SON yesterday night - got reply this morning! I wish all
> > companies were so fast. They charge only E34.80 to repair it which I
think
> > is very good.
>
> Out of curiosity, do you send the hub or the whole wheel - or doesn't it matter much ?

They said in their reply that if it was the latest model (silver middle) just send the hub. But if
the older model like mine (black middle) then send whole wheel. They don't say why this is so -
anybody know?

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:45:12 +0100, Ric:

>They said in their reply that if it was the latest model (silver middle) just send the hub. But if
>the older model like mine (black middle) then send whole wheel.

NO! You get it wrong.

The old version (more than 4 years old) has to be taken apart to check the inner parts. This
requires to remove the spokes, so makes sense to let the user (or his bike shop) do this and send
only the hub. The newer version can be screwed open without removing the spokes, so it is easier for
both parts just to let the hub in the wheel.

Andreas

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andre pop explosionos bee-bah-beh Kilroy. Fila a fala fell canteros anterior crotchet ligament.
> Presidentos reporto governmento democracias, "Sminki-pinki-bang-bang!" Hook-splat!
> Methethethetheth Presidentos reporto governmento democracias, "Sminki-pinki-bang-bang!" SMINKI-PINKI-BANG-
> BANG! BANG-BANG! BANG-BANG! B.A. Robertson.
>
> You lose. Again.

I'm sorry, but that's even more confusing than my reply.

--
Dave...