Repairing carbon soles

tonymarch64

Jun 18, 2019
The heel of one of my Mavic Zxellium shoes is wearing through (see pics). The rest of the shoes are in perfect shape, so I was curious if there is any way to repair that part of the shoe. It's probably a result of putting my left foot down when I stop, as the right shoe is fine. Any ideas on how to fix this (if it's even possible)? Thanks.

Attachments

• Shoe 1.jpg
    Shoe 1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Shoe 2.jpg
    Shoe 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 27
The problem now is that you've worn away so much of the structure that you would only get minimal overlap onto "healthy" material. It would have been far easier to do a decent repair earlier.
If those were my shoes, I'd trim away the remainder of the heel tread, then start the lay-up from 1/2" ahead of the tread cutouts.
I'd cut incrementally smaller and smaller patches until I end up with enough layers at the rear to reach about 2 mm thickness. Or however thick the sole is.
A yacht supply house or car accessories place might have a CF or fibreglass repair kit - with epoxy - in a not entirely crazy size for your needs.

Fiberglass repair kit by Bondo. Available for $10-$15 at most automotive parts stores. Fiberglass resin and cloth will be plenty strong enough for a heal repair job.

Amazon and others sell carbon repair kits, but prices start around $40.