Repairing Cycle Shoes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Jul 4, 2007.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Just hoped someone might have come across and dealt with this problem before:

    On my cycle shoes, the screw threads (to which the SPD fittings attach) have rusted and the screws don't fix in very well anymore. Where can I get replacement units?

    Also, I would have to remove the old units and there doesn't appear to be an easy way of doing this; the insole is fixed on so securely on the inside of the shoes that if I tried to remove it, it'd probably damage the shoe; there also doesn't appear to be any way I can remove the unit from the bottom of the shoe either?

    The shoes are still basically fine except for the rusted unit. It doesn't seem necessary to purchase brand new shoes and so I'd like to avoid having to do so if possible.

    Tags:

  2. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Just hoped someone might have come across and dealt with this problem
    > before:
    >
    > On my cycle shoes, the screw threads (to which the SPD fittings attach)
    > have rusted and the screws don't fix in very well anymore.

    Do you mean they're rusted AWAY so the screw fit is LOOSE
    or that they're rusted "UP", so they screws are very TIGHT?

    BugBear

  3. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jul, dannyfrankszzz <> wrote:

    > Also, I would have to remove the old units and there doesn't appear to
    > be an easy way of doing this; the insole is fixed on so securely on the

    I think you need to specify the shoes - on mine, you take out the
    insole and turn the shoe upside down, then pick the threaded insert up
    off the floor.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  4. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    dannyfrankszzz said the following on 04/07/2007 13:02:
    > Just hoped someone might have come across and dealt with this problem
    > before:
    >
    > On my cycle shoes, the screw threads (to which the SPD fittings attach)
    > have rusted and the screws don't fix in very well anymore. Where can I
    > get replacement units?

    You don't say which brand you have, but on both Shimano and Specialized
    the plates will be available through your LBS.

    As far as removing the insole goes, it does sounds as if you have a
    problem. Perhaps if the worse came to the worse you could cut just
    enough insole away to remove the plate, then stick it back into place
    afterwards. Not sure I would try that myself though :) I wouldn't
    expect to be able to remove it from the bottom - if you could it could
    also remove itself when you pulled up on the pedals.

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    bugbear - the screw does turn freely inside the thread.

    If it's of any relevance, the brand is Gaerne but they are just a typical pair of road cycling shoes.

    Earlier I said "the insole was fixed so securely.." - it's not the insole but part of the bottom of the shoe - don't know the word for it.

  6. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > bugbear - the screw does turn freely inside the thread.

    Ah. I was hoping it was "rusted up",
    and could be restored by tapping.

    Ho-hum.

    BugBear

  7. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    dannyfrankszzz
    [email protected] says...

    > bugbear - the screw does turn freely inside the thread.
    >
    > If it's of any relevance, the brand is Gaerne but they are just a
    > typical pair of road cycling shoes.
    >
    > Earlier I said "the insole was fixed so securely.." - it's not the
    > insole but part of the bottom of the shoe - don't know the word for it.

    Midsole?

    Can you tap the plate to take larger screws?