repairing damaged aluminum frame?

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
Not major damage.

Little dings.... can I fill in with solder pre-painting like on a steel frame? Or is there a
better solution?

Cracks in welds... are there places that will do ad-hoc welds to alluminum tubing?

Any experiences / words of advice appreciated.

TIA,

- Boyd S.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:35:35 GMT in rec.bicycles.tech, Boyd
Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cracks in welds... are there places that will do ad-hoc welds to alluminum tubing?

cracks in welds are serious. not for amateurs.

how old is this frame, and how roughly has it been treated?

"Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cracks in welds are serious. not for amateurs.
>
> how old is this frame, and how roughly has it been treated?

Now this I can agree with you on! :) Cracks obviously mean imminent failure. And I don't think
correcting them is as easy as taking it to Joe Welder and zapping it with the MIG. It should
probably go to a alu frame builder for an examination.

Cheers,

Scott..