repairing damaged aluminum frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Not major damage.

    Little dings.... can I fill in with solder pre-painting like on a steel frame? Or is there a
    better solution?

    Cracks in welds... are there places that will do ad-hoc welds to alluminum tubing?

    Any experiences / words of advice appreciated.

    TIA,

    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:35:35 GMT in rec.bicycles.tech, Boyd
    Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cracks in welds... are there places that will do ad-hoc welds to alluminum tubing?

    cracks in welds are serious. not for amateurs.

    how old is this frame, and how roughly has it been treated?

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > cracks in welds are serious. not for amateurs.
    >
    > how old is this frame, and how roughly has it been treated?

    Now this I can agree with you on! :) Cracks obviously mean imminent failure. And I don't think
    correcting them is as easy as taking it to Joe Welder and zapping it with the MIG. It should
    probably go to a alu frame builder for an examination.

    Cheers,

    Scott..