Reparing a Cannondale frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Otto, May 19, 2003.

  1. Otto

    Otto Guest

    I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Otto <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    >straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible,

    Here's one idea:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/rlfix.html

    The problem with welding a Cannondale is that heat treating is necessary afterwards.

    --Paul

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    $17 for a replaceable hangar. If it is a non replaceable hangar, you may want another frame.

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 19:06:20 GMT, "Otto" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    >straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

  4. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    > straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

    Most recent cannondales that I can remember had replaceable der. hanger inserts ( three little allen
    screws holding it in ). If it is not, you may be able to find an aftermarket hanger that bolts on.
    Otherwise, I 'd contact Cannondale directly to see how much they would charge to repair it. Or
    perhaps they might offer a credit towards a replacement frame.

  5. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    >straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

    This is one for the few times that just welding might be OK. If it's the non removeable hanger just
    cut one off a scrap frame and have a good local welder TIG it on. The lack of heat treatment isn't
    really critical in this instance. Phil Brown

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Otto wrote:
    > I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    > straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

    Before trying local welders (etc.), I'd check with my local Cannondale dealer and see what
    they suggest.

    David

  7. agreed, though it must be a pretty old C'dale not to have a replacable hanger

    "Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I recently broke the rear deraileur hanger off my Cannondale aluminum frame while trying to
    >straighten it out. Any opinions about whether a repair is possible, and what it might cost?

    This is one for the few times that just welding might be OK. If it's the non removeable hanger just
    cut one off a scrap frame and have a good local welder TIG it on. The lack of heat treatment isn't
    really critical in this instance. Phil Brown

  8. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >This is one for the few times that just welding might be OK. If it's the non removeable hanger just
    >cut one off a scrap frame and have a good local welder TIG it on. The lack of heat treatment isn't
    >really critical in this instance.

    >Phil Brown

    I think you have a good point. The only stresses in that part of the dropout are from the derailleur
    hanger itself so the integrity of the frame is not really compromised. A good man with a tig would
    be quick and only heat a very small area.

    I am glad you pointed this out because I have an old GT Zaskar which does not have a replaceable
    hanger and i have wondered what I would do if damaged it. Now I know.

    The cheapest fix is probably to buy one of the steel derailleur hangers that come on cheap
    department store bikes and make it work.

    Jon Isaacs

  9. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jon Isaacs wrote:
    >>This is one for the few times that just welding might be OK. If it's the non removeable hanger
    >>just cut one off a scrap frame and have a good local welder TIG it on. The lack of heat treatment
    >>isn't really critical in this instance.
    >

    >>Phil Brown
    >

    > I think you have a good point. The only stresses in that part of the dropout are from the
    > derailleur hanger itself so the integrity of the frame is not really compromised. A good man with
    > a tig would be quick and only heat a very small area.
    >
    > I am glad you pointed this out because I have an old GT Zaskar which does not have a replaceable
    > hanger and i have wondered what I would do if damaged it. Now I know.
    >
    > The cheapest fix is probably to buy one of the steel derailleur hangers that come on cheap
    > department store bikes and make it work.

    Or, buy one of Cannondale's replacable ones and make it work :)

    David

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
    >>This is one for the few times that just welding might be OK. If it's the non removeable hanger
    >>just cut one off a scrap frame and have a good local welder TIG it on. The lack of heat treatment
    >>isn't really critical in this instance.
    >
    >>Phil Brown
    >
    >I think you have a good point. The only stresses in that part of the dropout are from the
    >derailleur hanger itself so the integrity of the frame is not really compromised. A good man with a
    >tig would be quick and only heat a very small area.
    >
    >I am glad you pointed this out because I have an old GT Zaskar which does not have a replaceable
    >hanger and i have wondered what I would do if damaged it. Now I know.
    >
    >The cheapest fix is probably to buy one of the steel derailleur hangers that come on cheap
    >department store bikes and make it work.

    Last spring I noticed a crack in my Cannondale frame on the right chainstay about 2-3 cm from the
    dropout. The tube was nearly off. I friend of my welded it and the welding seems to be OK. My friend
    estimated that the strenght has been reduced by 30%.

    I will continue to use the bike and I will look for any new cracks in the area before and after
    every ride.

    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, EDB Teamco AS e-mail: [email protected] (remove nospam first)
    web: http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/