Replace chain after 1,000 miles?



Alpha said:
How long a chain will last depends on the quality of the chain.

eg: a low quality shimano will last 1500 miles, while a high quality will last 7000 miles.

It aslo depends on how well the chain is cared for.
Your source for this?
 
Please send all your 1000 mile chains to me for recycling....... :D

I have about 4k on an Ultegra and measure it religiously waiting for the dreaded chain stretch. I'm more of a masher than a spinner and ride in moderately hilly areas. Maybe I'm just lucky.
 
Alpha said:
Any reputable bike shop

Well you know what they say about one born every minute. Funny how other people's Shimano chains last at least 3 to 5 times the 1500 miles stated. Did this knowledgeable salesman manage to sell you a more expensive brand by any chance?
 
capwater said:
Please send all your 1000 mile chains to me for recycling....... :D

I have about 4k on an Ultegra and measure it religiously waiting for the dreaded chain stretch. I'm more of a masher than a spinner and ride in moderately hilly areas. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yeah.. me too :rolleyes: :D

I've started using the Ultegra/XT 9-speed chain on my MTB in the last month... so we'll see how long that lasts. I spin and mash ........ , but I have plenty of hills/mountains locally :)

Just take care of your stuff ..... lubrication is a GOOD thing , measure your links , and replace when needed. This society is too hell bent on always BUYING New , and tossing perfectly good - but used items. The retailers , typically , are no help in this department- because there livelyhood is dependent on peoples coming into there shop, and laying down some dough ;)
 
gclark8 said:
Shifting,
cable stretch is more likely to be a problem in near new bikes. Also FD Low and RD High limit screws may need a tweak, I have seen this on a lot of flat bar road bikes.

Chains, has anyone turned their chain over on a regular basis? It seems to me the nice sharp top edges of the side plates may be open to less wear and better shifting if swapped around once in a while, just food for thought.
GClark, I don't have the link anymore but I recall reading an article by Leanard Zinn that stated one could prolong the life of a chain by flipping it over from time to time. According to the article this was discovered by the techs at Shimano.
 
li rider said:
March issue of Bicycling magazine, in the cue sheet article, recommends replacing your chain if it has gone more than 1,000 miles.

Is this standard maintenance on a road bike?
If you really want to learn the true ins and outs of cycling (including all of the hardware and gizmos) cancel your subscription to that pathetic rag and start lurking through this and the training forum. Read all of the old posts and you'll have a wealth of information at your fingertips for free.

At first you may not be able to tell who is knowledgable or not but you will in time. Be sure to read everything by a guy who used to use the phrase "barge load of hooey" too.
 
Adam-from-SLO said:
I've started using the Ultegra/XT 9-speed chain on my MTB in the last month... so we'll see how long that lasts. I spin and mash ........ , but I have plenty of hills/mountains locally :)
What do the terms "spin" and "mash" mean? I'm sorry for asking such a question.
 
Ricitius said:
What do the terms "spin" and "mash" mean? I'm sorry for asking such a question.

Spin - higher cadence often with a higher gear.
Mash - lower cadence often with a lower gear.

Note: No bad questions here! :D
 
capwater said:
Spin - higher cadence often with a higher gear.
Mash - lower cadence often with a lower gear.

Note: No bad questions here! :D

Thank you kindly. I think I'm a bit of a spinner.
 
capwater said:
Spin - higher cadence often with a higher gear.
Mash - lower cadence often with a lower gear.

Note: No bad questions here! :D
Don't you mean this?:
spin - high cadence, often relatively lower gear
mash - low cadence, often relatively higher gear
 
pod said:
Well you know what they say about one born every minute. Funny how other people's Shimano chains last at least 3 to 5 times the 1500 miles stated. Did this knowledgeable salesman manage to sell you a more expensive brand by any chance?
Can you F*^*&ing read?

I said a quality chain will last longer than a low quality chain.

1500 miles on a 15$ chain or 7000 miles on a $50....figure it out!
 
I was at the LBS today and had them check my chain for stretch, and currently I'm just inside the allowable strech limits (ultegra chain), and I have 2500 miles on my chain (and I weight 187 lbs). There's no hard and fast rule on when to replace a chain, just check its stretch and replace it when it has exceeded its limits.
 
technically you should remove the chain and put it in degreaser and clean it that way. I hurd lubeing the chain while on the bike can actually increase wear makes sense since the dirt is still there, and dirt is what kills chains, but life is too short for that lol. plus the smaller the chain the quicker it will stretch. if u dont clean your chain at all in 1000 miles youll prolly need a new one. seems 3k miles is ave. im shure 9 and 8 speed will last a little longer.
 
Alpha said:
Can you F*^*&ing read?

I said a quality chain will last longer than a low quality chain.

1500 miles on a 15$ chain or 7000 miles on a $50....figure it out!
So the answer is yes he did isn't it?

Anyways, I bought a new mountain bike a year ago, and found that the teeth on the cassette are pretty worn down after 1-2k of riding, and the chain is stetched. Yes, I tend to pedal (and switch gears) very, very agressively, I even managed to snap my chain on my older bike that I used for the previous 3 years, however it's teeth are still in near perfect condition, and I m having trouble finding out why. Maybe one is cheaper than the other?
 
alienator said:
I've got over 5000 miles on my C10, with plenty of life left in it.
I have over 4,000 miles on my C10 and it's not even close to being tossed. It's amazing what a difference it makes if you keep it clean and lubed.
 

Similar threads